Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this happen? I have a carcover i purchased from Sevensaturdays.com and have used it many times. It is rated to hold up in high heat and UV. I love the cover!
I have a 2002 Insight. I recently covered the car at the airport. I left the car covered for about four days. After coming back from a trip, i lifted the cover off to take the car home and noticed chafing had occurred in the hatchback area. It is the area where you touch above the third brake light to close the hatch. Its as if the wind (was windy) wore away the black part in some areas. Has this happened to anyone else? If so is there anything i can do to restore the black color back or am i out of luck? :cry:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey cvtonly1,
I've noticed it is a weak area, maybe you can try to use a kind of fine polish.
I use fine polish to "fix" my cd's when they have scratches.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Question, is this a semi custom or custom fitted cover? I've got a cover craft tan flannel car cover for mine and they've molded it to fit perfectly like a second skin to the car. It can be on the car in moderate winds and it does not move. Though I'll probably have to replace my cover in about a year I went with the tan Flannel because it is the gentelest fabric they have, made more for indoor storage.

The other thing is what if anything do you do before covering the car? Really you want to only put a cover on a perfectly clean car, otherwise you can trap dust in between it and it will get pressed against the paint and put fine scratches in it (those spider webs you see when the sun shines directly on the paint). I keep my car duster in the car and go over the whole thing before putting it on and this has worked quite well. That and wash the cover per the manufactureres instructions occasionally helps.

Ok that asside if any attempt to polish or buff out the offending area doesn't work at least it's an easy repaint You have to remove the trim around the little rear window and wiper motor, but then it just unscrews off from looking at the service manual. If you had to you could remove it and repaint it pretty easily. A picture would go a long ways here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car cover is a Silvertech Cool and Dry. I think it is made by Coverite. It is a size A. The smallest they make. So to answer your first question: I would say maybe semi-custom since not cars can use this cover due to the size.
Unfortunately, the car was dirty when i put the cover on. I looked at the cover and sure enough there was a faint line of black which matched the same spot as where the cover was resting on the lip of the hatch.
If I did not repaint, is there any such polish that is sold at Pep Boys etc..that would at least hide and somewhat protect the slight wear marks?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Wash the cover before you put it back on, they will likely have a recommendation of using a front loading washing machine for this. I found a laundromat around the corner for this purpose. As far as polishing it out I'd need to see it to tell. You might try (personal opinion here) a meguiar's paint cleaner like body scrub or deep crystal step #1, or scratchX and see if it does anything.

Like I said, a picture would go a long ways here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the chafing i had on my back hatch finally disappeared. I began to think that maybe the cover itself had left grey marks on the plastic piece (above third brake light). My dad had some Meguires Cleaner Wax and after one application the area was brand new. Thanks to Meguires the back looks brand new. Thanks again for everyones help! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts