Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to export an US Insight to Europe.

Can anyone help me how to change the car settings from mph to km/h (and mpg to l/100km). It is mandatory to have speedometer in km/h here!

Insights are newer sold in my country (Sweden), meaning dealers have poor knowledge.

Is there a way for the driver to change settings, do I need to connect computer (and some codes) or do I have to exchange some parts?

Don't they have km/h in Canada, ie this should not be a new issue - right?

Soon Insight owner :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You have two buttons side-by-side on the right hand side of your LCD speed/info display. Press and hold for a second or two the rightmost-hand button marked kph/mph on your dash display.

Bingo! :lol:

and.... Congratulations! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got a Japanese import RHD. No kmh to mph button. After pulling the instrument binnacle out there seems to be the switch on the pcb. Has anyone had success in getting it to swap between kmh/mph? I can't believe Honda would have a totally different circuit board for just a small production run.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
sounds strange, wouldn't it already be in km/h?

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
Right. But the Japanese cars don't have the option to change it to miles.

Sam

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
well the post sais he is importing a US insight to europe. the US cars have the km switch. if it's a european car and has no MPH option then where is the issue? just sounds confusing as to where this car is from and going.

·
Administrator
12,259 Posts
They do have variations for the different markets.
You will have to remove the cluster and open it up.

If the mph/kmh switch exists on the internal circuit board then try pressing and holding it while it is connected to the car and powered up. You never know it may change between kmh/mph.

I have a spare switchable UK gauge which has kmh/mph option but it's rare and not cheap.
e-mail me at my signature address for details.

The cluster presumably contains a programmable cpu. If we could read that and the reflash other gauges then that might be an option but it has never been tried/investigated asfaik.

It sounds like both snuffle and mick could swap clusters. That way mick gets a gauge that reads miles and gallons (albeit US) and snuffle gets a gauge that reads kmh...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
so a little side topic since i'm also curious, the clusters can be swapped? i know some clusters will not swap because they must be paired with the ECU due to mileage variations.

the cluster in my '01 has a huge blotch covering half the speedo and my '00 cluster is perfect.

considering how fragile the gauge hood is, i just haven't wanted to bother trying it yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
Yes. You can swap clusters. It will read the mileage on the replacement one, though. I *think* you can disassemble both clusters and swap just the film with the blob, thus retaining the correct mileage.

Sam

·
Premium Member
Southern California
806 Posts
All the LCDs are the same and are all swappable between any cluster. You can even mix CVT and MT. The mileage, etc is stored in the microcontroller on the cluster's PCB. The CVT's "PRNDL" text and the MT's "UP DOWN" text are printed on plastic that goes in front of the LCD.

The PCBs in the CVT and MT clusters are different and are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just read this helpful from the UK legal aspect:

Do you have to convert the speedometer?
Having said all of the above, do you have a choice about speedometer conversion? In some situations, yes you do!

If the car is over 10 years old when it has its first MOT in the UK, you do not have to convert the speedometer.

Many people will tell you it is a legal requirement for the MOT. This is incorrect. The car does have to have a speedometer, but the MOT regulations do not state that it has to read in miles per hour.

However, if the car is under 10 years old when it arrives in the UK, it will need to have an IVA test. The speedometer will need to be in miles per hour for the car to pass this test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kph-mph

They do have variations for the different markets.
You will have to remove the cluster and open it up.

If the mph/kmh switch exists on the internal circuit board then try pressing and holding it while it is connected to the car and powered up. You never know it may change between kmh/mph.

I have a spare switchable UK gauge which has kmh/mph option but it's rare and not cheap.
e-mail me at my signature address for details.

The cluster presumably contains a programmable cpu. If we could read that and the reflash other gauges then that might be an option but it has never been tried/investigated asfaik.

It sounds like both snuffle and mick could swap clusters. That way mick gets a gauge that reads miles and gallons (albeit US) and snuffle gets a gauge that reads kmh...
This is an old post has anyone else encountered this switch...does it work does it exist on all Jap imports?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts