Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my plugs the other day, and saw the threads about removing the front cowl to access the second bank of plugs. Thought that wasn't very Honda-like and started to look into access before i took it off. Granted taking the cowl off is probably very easy and just a few bolts but i was curious - so I decided to give it a go.

So here we start by taking off the intake manifold cover. there's two tabs friction fitted into a rubber bushing. Hold by the tab and pull straight up and it comes right off.

Intake manifold with out its cover

You will see you have access to the front four coil packs and spark plugs. I unclip the harness before removing the bolts by depressing the rear of the plug gently and working the plug off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next you remove the 10mm bolt

Then hold the coil and pull gently upwards, they come off easy.

Then most important, take some compressed air and blow out each plug.

After that get your spark plug socket and ratchet out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

After the spark plugs are loose, you can remove the plugs. Some sockets are magnetic, (mine is on order), some have a rubber insert in them that hold on to the nipple of the plug or if you are like me, you have to get a little creative. I had some rubber hose that fit over the nipple as long as i held some sideways pressure on the plug (the hose was just a little too big for friction fit)

After the plugs are out i check the condition and gap of the old plugs to see if anything is out of whack. Then I verify the gap on the new ones, (i came across a gap spec of 1.0 to 1.1), and apply some anti seize to the threads. Favorite drink helps.

Now set the plugs gently in, dont just drop them from the top of the spark plug tube and hand start and tighten all the plugs. I never use the ratchet when starting the plugs. I tightened to 200 in pounds with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now we got the front four done, what about the back four? Well the first plug on the far left back side is visible without much fuss. take a look at it and try to visualize the situation. The coil is shaped different than the front, dont let that throw you. look for the harness plug, and unplug all four. I stick my arm in between the ac lines and the intake manifold and give her the ole reach around. I am however, a super thin guy. If you cant do this, start pulling the cowl cover off.

the plug has to be taken off to get at the 10mm coil bolt. This was my setup to get at the coil bolts.

Now that you took off all four coil pack bolts, remove them from the coil and pull out the coil pack. tilt the pack towards the passenger compartment, there is plently of room to remove them. Next up is giving a spritz of air into the park plug holes. I used my tire inflator and removed the nozzle so it worked like an air gun.

After that is complete, its time to remove the plugs. I used this setup first and fed it down into each spark plug

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Connecting the two extensions

And to just show you the last spark plug access

I removed the rear spark plugs with a magnet setup and the put in all the plugs with anti seize like the front four and tightened up to 200 in pounds. Drop the coils back in.

I found it very helpful to not push the coil all the way down before getting the 10mm bolt started. It was tricky when the coil was all the way down and left a narrow window for the coil to be clocked correctly and have the bolt in the right spot. with the coil not fully depressed, the coil and bolt can move around until the bolt engages the threads.

One other note, start on the divers side and work your way to the passenger. If driver is 4 and passenger is 1, then 4 and 3 have to be in and bolted down before you can plug the harness into number 4. work your way out to number 1 and you are all set.

If anyone in central Florida wants help give me a PM!

·
Registered
622 Posts
nice wiki ... I don't know if my chubby paws would fit back there ... id like to see a schematic or pic of the inside of the head - must be some kind of hemi given the two different angles of attack of the plugs in the combustion chamber

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Whats the gap on the old plugs? I found mines were out of spec, too big. The new ones were at the upper end of the gap spec.

My hands are too small to do that, but its an idea. Plus I wanted to see the right side of the engine for room for a turbo. :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cobb - turbo kit? Have they come out with tuning software for this car? I wish oem's would embrace the aftermarket and tuning world and ship cars with unlocked ecus (although sure make it easily readable so they can void your warranty - that doesn't bother me - its the owners choice) but people can do some really creative things that are stifled because the avenues for people to express themselves aren't open. its a shame really.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understood.. What i was getting at was a turbo kit is just hard parts and the problem with the implementation lies in tuning. I didn't know if ecu tuning software had come out for the insight yet or not

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Interesting..... Looks like it will let you check out and diy it for 5 grand. Myself and Matt looked around and have been told no, even for turbos as tuning is an issue.

Typically they use a hondata to retune the engine with the supercharger kit. Hondata says no to it or any of their programmers working on the insight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yea the forced induction kits are there but no one willing to tune. i am starting to see if the ecu is crackable or if a piggyback is possible ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts