Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could not find the answer in this forum. If it is already posted, please redirect...

Does anyone have a step-by-step tutorial in changing my manual transmission fluid? I do my own oil changes, so I assume it is about the same process. I don't have a shop manual, and of course my owner's manual only says how to check the level. Is it just a matter of pulling the drain screw (if so, where is it?) and refilling? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The bolts are on the end of the tranny on the drivers side of the car (in the corner closest to the cabin). One is for drain and the other is for fill. It's hard to really explain...the shop manual has a good picture. I did mine for the second time about a month ago. From what I remember, the two bolts are different sizes and one of them is very close to the bright red/orange plastic cord cover for the IMA power. You should be able to see them with the front of the car on jackstands.

Before you start, remember you will need to get new crush washers for the bolts. One is the same size as the oil drain plug washer but the other is larger (possibly the same size as the block coolant drain)

If you know where the bolts are, then unscrew the top (fill) one first. Then unscrew the lower (drain) bolt. Let all the fluid drain out. Then put the drain bolt back on with a new washer and snake a tube down through the engine compartment and into the fill bolt hole. Attach a funnel to this tube. Pour new MTL into the funnel/tube until it starts flowing out of the fill bolt. It should take 1.5 (?) quarts (I know it's less than 2 qts.). When fluid stops flowing out of the fill bolt hole, put the bolt back on and your done.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
kapps said:
When fluid stops flowing out of the fill bolt hole, put the bolt back on and your done.
I believe you meant when the fluid "starts" flowing out the fill hole, then stop pouring the MTF and put the bolt back on.
Thanks Kapps for taking the initiative to reply to this post :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kapps! You'll save me about $50. :D

I assume the fill bolt is the same one talked about in the owner's manual to check the fluid level?

Do I need to torque the bolts to a certain amount, like the 29 ft/lbs for the engine oil?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just changed mine last Sunday. The fill plug is a 17mm. The drain is 3/8" recessed. A 3/8" ratchet is what you need to remove it. Make sure you have a tube large enough to fill it quickly. I could not find my fill tube for the end of a small funnel. I drained the fluid in the afternoon. I left and returned home at 10. All I could find was a piece of surgical tubing. 1/8" is WAY too small of a hole. The funnel would hold about 3oz and it would take about 5 minutes to drain it.It takes 1.6 quarts exactly. The car needs to be fairly level front to back. I just had the front jacked up and the fluid really ran out of the fill hole. I leveled it out before I filled it and 1.6 put it right at the edge seeping. I used Amsoil Manual Syncromesh Transmission Fluid 5-30.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Let us know how the transmission works with the synthetic fluid. If you find the transmission begins to shift roughly after a couple of days you may have to revert back to Honda MTF.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's got about 700 miles on it and still shifts fine. I changed the motor oil and transmission at the same time. The trans was last changed at 60,000. This week I got between 63 and 68.6 on the way to work and 68 to 78.4 on the way home for a 50 mile drive each way through many hills. This week, the temps have ranged from 25 to 43. The 78.4 was with a 10 to 15 mph tailwind.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Several other forms of synthetic oil have been tried by Insighters. To my knowledge they have invariably produced notchy shifting. The page you linked to does specifically mention Honda. I'll have to give it a try myself in the spring. providing you can still give it a thumbs up in the warm weather.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I've used Mobile1 10W-30 in my old CRX HF for over 200K miles and now in my Insight for almost 90K.

Yes, shifting is a wee bit stiffer, but unless your speed shifting trying to beat the clock in a timed lap IMO its a picky difference.

MPG difference? Hard to tell. But I can't imagine it as anything but a plus.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My brother and I ran a length of 1/4" od plastic tubing stuck through a hole in the lid of the Honda MTF bottle then run to the fill port on the tranny. Then we used a bicycle tire pump to pressurize the plastic MTF bottle, and the deed was done. We wrapped the bottle with some duct tape and went real easy on the pressure; you can see the bottle bulge so making a big mess is your reward if you try to do it too quickly. It took awhile, but seemed easier than past experiences with funnels and long hoses. Make sure that the fill port plug comes out before pulling the drain plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking to change my MTF on the insight I just purchased - what size are the bolts and crush washers needed for this? Also considering using shell spirax s4 since it is the shell alternative to mobifluid424, apparently what Honda MTF originally was.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts