Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know there are like 485728492049203 threads about changing the oil on our beloved cars. But in none of them could I find a good, detailed direction on how to do it. I am more handy than the average Joe, but not by much. I have done an oil change or two in my life, but not much more than that. I am on a budget right now and my lovely needs a change of her oil. So I know I can do it, but I would just feel better with some step by step direction. Pictures or at least details on where everything is(Before you say it, I know where the oil filler cap and dipstick are) underneath the car, like the oil pan, filter, and drain plug. Also, how much oil and which oil filter should I use? I know to use Mobil 1 0w-10 or 0w-20.

Thanks so much!
-Erik

·
Registered
35 Posts
0 20 honda genuine oil and a honda filter.... these cars are really easy.... once you get the air shield down.... its like 10 or so slips and a few screws.... but everything is right one the bottom... i believe the block says engine oil on the pan... lol

3.4quarts and make sure you put oil in the filter... i might set off a dtc (check engine light) if you dont..

3.4 not including the filter oil..

let me know

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info

anyone else have any more of the info im looking for?

details on how to get to the drain plug?

what oil filter to use? like, is there a part number or something i need?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
the oil change procedure should be in your user manual. If you dont have the manual, its available to view in this site also.

But here's a link to the oil change section:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/IN0202/IN0202O00165A.pdf

by the way, you were asking about oil change for the 1st gen insights right? the oil capacity is 2.6qts including filter, not 3.4qt. You dont want to overfill. Maybe "shhhh" was talking about the 2nd gen insight, when mentioning 3.4qts ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o_O

there is a big difference between 2.6 including the filter and 3.4 without the filter...

i didnt even think to look in my manual, haha. thanks for that tip :)

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
actually I am a little confused about the way the capacities are listed in the manual,,

Here it has 3 capacities (including filter, without filter, and total):
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/IN0202/IN0202O00242A.pdf

here it says 2.6qts (including filter):
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...202O00165A.pdf

I always put 2.6qts and that brings the level to the middle of the dipstick lines. But I guess the instructions say to fill oil until oil is at the upper mark on the stick, so I suppose 3.2qts is correct.

·
Registered
939 Posts
With the correct filter, 2.6 is full(top of dip stick).

Keep in mind it takes a bit to get a good reading as the oil drains to the pan after filling

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
according to the service manual, 3.2qt is the total capacity after an engine overhaul. So I suppose 2.6qt is right for oil changes, since not all the oil really gets drained when you change oil.

here is a page from the service manual:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help guys, im about to go attempt the oil change now...wish me luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well after about 4 hours, a few issues, including a 45 minute trip to the nearest 24 hour walmart at 3am(i realized after i started i had no oil filter wrench)

my insights oil has been changed!

i put 3 full quarts in. in only bought 3...after i put the recommended(by the manual) 2.6 in, i checked the level and it was only about 1/3 of the way up in between the markers. so i added the rest, no its about 2/3...

so it is definitely more likely to be 3.4 quarts total

should i go out and buy that extra quart? or is leaving it 2/3 ok?

thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh? i sure hope not. i really looked low with just the 2.6 quarts in...

and i ran it for a few minutes, then checked the level right after...then let it sit for a few minutes, then checked it again...and repeated...

geez, changing my motorcycles oil was sooo much easier than this, haha

·
Registered
939 Posts
did you use a honda filter? Is it possible that you have the wrong dipstick?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
Make sure the "dipstick" is fully depressed (bottomed) before extracting it. That could give you a false reading.

Willie

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oil level should be checked when the engine is cold, only then the oil is resting in the oil pan... when it is warmer/hot much of the oil is at the head and other paces so you will not get a correct read

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oil level should be checked when the engine is cold, only then the oil is resting in the oil pan... when it is warmer/hot much of the oil is at the head and other paces so you will not get a correct read
No, oil should be checked warm.

After the car has warmed up or been driven, park on level ground and shut off engine. Wait about a minute or two (owners manual is silent, it simply says "wait a few minutes"), and then measure. Most of the oil will be back in the pan. Cold oil usually will give a false high reading.

Simple to do when fueling. Typically, by the time you prepay, select your grade and put the nozzle in, you can check the oil.

There are some cars that have very specific procedures, this car does not seem to be one of them.

If the level is within the hatched marks, generally you are fine. The difference between high and low is generally 1 quart. Since the insight has such a small capacity, it may be less the Owners Manual is silent; but if unsure, add a 1/4-1/2 quart at a time and recheck.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did not use a honda filter, but it was the same part according to auto zone

i checked it a couple times today, and everything seems ok

·
Registered
939 Posts
In that case-I'd bet the filter is a bit larger then OEM. But thats ok-as long as the oil is not over the upper line on the stick. Just wondering, was it a fram or stp filter?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts