Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have changed their own oil on their Insights, I'm sure you've found that it has been somewhat more of a pain compared to some other cars. Draining the oil itself isn't too bad.

It's removing the oil filter that's a pain. Mainly concerning:

1. Horizontal Mounting - Nearly imposible to remove unless you have some sort of wrench.
2. Oil drip - There is a long metal "shield" which the oil tends to drip on.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips to make the process less painful. ;)

Also, does anyone know of the SureDrain product from Fram works with the Insight?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've used a small margarine container placed on top of the metal shield to catch the oil when you remove the filter. You might remove the metal plate altogether. That should give you more room to remove the filter.

It is a pain though, so I've only done it myself once.

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
How do the quick change places handle it?

I usually bring mine to a quick oil change place across the street, very similar to jiffy lube. They have somebody underneath and they just unscrew it and such and they put oil in at the top.

Will they be able to losen it just fine? I'm sure they have wrenches. Will they compensate for this metal thing that tends to catch some? I haven't brought it there yet as it's new but I will eventually. I figured at 3000 miles I'd have them put full synthetic in the car, if they make synthetic in the 20 weight, not sure. But then you can change your oil like every 6000 miles with full synthetic. I figured maybe after the 6000 miles have gone by (3,000 + 6,000 = 9,000) I'd have honda replace the oil maybe with official honda oil, the benefit of having honda do it is they also do a full checkup of the car so they could notice anything I've missed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep, they'll be able to loosen it like any other filter - I didn't have a problem getting mine off. You might check ahead of time if they have the 0w20 oil, since it's pretty rare. I buy mine from the dealership but you may have more options where you are.

Ron

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glitch...

I'd be really careful going to those quick oil change places. They ruined a starter in a 300zx I had. It was right under the oil filter, and they were just letting oil spill and collect on it every time they changed the oil. I'll never use them, particularly not on a car as different as this one.

AMSOIL makes a 0w-20 synthetic. From all I've read, they are the best. They also make a much better oil filter. Mobil1 makes an almost equally good oil filter for the car, and will come out with theirr 0w-20 next month (I called both companies tech support and put the part numbers on a thread in a different board here on InsightCentral).

Everyone should be careful to use better-quality oil filters. To go with an extended change interval you REALLY need a better filter like the Mobil1 or the AMSOIL. Either can be used with regular oil, for those who want regular oil, and the AMSOIL is higher capacity.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok. So I go w/ the AMSOIL Filter

Ok. So I go w/ the AMSOIL Filter. What do they run and where do I get it? Standard Discount auto parts store? I want to use the best in my new baby.

What about oil. I want to run pure synthetic and in another thread here somebody mentioned a few different brands offered in the 20 weight, anybody got a recommendation on the absolute best to use? and just in case it's impossible to find, the second absolute best? Gotta keep the motor working in great shape.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ohh I misread the article. Does everybody agree I should use AMSoil next change? I mean I can go with the Honda oil and honda oil filter but I never did like STOCK/OEM things, sometimes aftermarket parts can be better than the original.

So I'll try to use AMSoil Oil and Filter whenever possible, but in a pinch I can use mobil 1? Oil and filter, oil to be available shortly.

SERIES 2000 - SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil
SAE 5W-20 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 20W-50 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
SAE 20W-50 Synthetic High Performance Motorcycle Engine Oil
SAE (20W)-40 Synthetic Natural Gas Motor Oil, API CC (Low Ash)

are all the ones I see on AMSOil's website. Which is the best for our cars?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Insighter! Found your other post.

Should have done more research first. I found your post in the other thread. Apparently this is the one to go with:

SAE 5W-20 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil

Their website says it's $5.20 each Quart. $61.20 for 12 quarts.

Hond'a Oil is OW-20 and costs $45 a case of 12. So the price difference is there, but not too too heavy. Will this be a problem? The different between 0W-20 and 5W-20 is?

Also, the AMSoil Oil Filter to go with is SDF13 and the Mobil (Close to equal quality) filter to go with is M1-108

Putting this information up here for anybody who found this thread first and not the other wants the info. Thanks to Insighter! You're scouring the net like me for info on your new insight. So far so good. Hope you like yers as much as I like mine. Anybody else agree/concur/disagree with Insighters recommendation? From what I've read/researched in the forums it looks like a very solid oil to use, probably better than Honda's. Thoughts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
AMSOIL

Hint: On these boards, unlike others, you can edit and delete your past posts if you find more information or an answer to your own question.

As to the AMSOIL, I called them yesterday and they said that they have a 0w-20. I just called again and spoke with someone else who said that AMSOIL does not have a 0w-20 in their 7500 series (and has no plans to make one), but does have a 5w-20. He said the 5w-20 would be fine.

I would probably be tempted to go with the AMSOIL. Mobil1 is an excellent product. It is by far the best of the synthetic oils you can buy at local stores. You have to be careful, some oils labeled synthetic are nothing but highly-refined dino oils. The courts have ruled they can label them synthetic, but they are really just better conventional oil. They do not offer the protection that true synthetics offer. If you read enough about all of this on the net you will confirm all of this (that's what I did). Mobil1 is a true synthetic, as is AMSOIL, but AMSOIL has better additives and is a superior synthetic.

AMSOIL's Oil Filter for the Insight is # SDF13

AMSOIL's phone numbers are:

Sales: 800-777-7094
Tech Support: 715-392-7101

Be careful looking at websites. Most are for AMSOIL's authorized dealers. You don't need them. Call Amsoil directly and pay about $10-$20 and become your own dealer. That's what most of these other people are, anyway. Gets you the best price and probably better service.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I do my own oil changes, it's so easy anyway. Those fast oil changes or dealerships forget to reinstall bolts and screws all the time! If you never change you own oil you wouldn't know. I bought the oil, filters and filter wrench from HPparts. Much cheaper than from the dealership. My first oil change took me about 30 minutes, only because I needed to get used to the procedure. It should take me no more than 15 minutes next time.

Oh, if you do it yourself, buy a set of Rhino ramps from WalMart.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an FYI, you CAN use higher weight oil, but using 5W (10W if you're crazy enough! :p) oil will hurt your overall LMPG. Best to stay with 0W if you want to get the best MPG.

Also, from what I've read, the OEM Honda filters that are made in the US SUCK! Almost as bad as FRAM (Review Here). However, the OEM Honda filters that are made in Japan supposedly are really good. As far as I know, all Insight filters come from Honda's Japanese distributor. This could be the reason why the filter costs so much more than others (???).

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the new recommendation is?

Interesting. It appears Honda put a lot of though into this car and it's virtually impossible to make your lmpg get better. I mean, you put different/better tires on it, you lmpg goes down. You put different/better oil in it, your lmpg goes down. No matter what, everytime I want to do something good to help my car it appears I'll be hurting it lmpg. I would love to put softer michelin tires on this car for a smoother ride and better traction, it'd make a world of difference. But I'll hurt my lmpg. I'd also like to run that AMSoil better full synthetic oil in my car, it should be better for the engine and such, but there goes my lmpg again. It seems Honda has used every trick in the book to make this car more efficient, and any mods you do hamper there engineering. It's so precise...

Anyway, so the new recommendation is to use either Japanese Honda oil filter, or AMSoil oil filter, plus Honda 0-20w oil instead of the AMSoil 5-20w oil. Figures. I wonder if Mobil 1's new oil will be 0-20w.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Feeling the pinch by the dealership

Feeling the pinch by the dealership's prices for motor oil, I went and bought a bunch of Honda 0W-20 oil as well as a bunch of other things on sale @ Hparts.com. I paid $33 for 10 quarts. I think I saved myself a little cash this way...
~Martin

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't of taken my Insight to the dealership even if they had thrown in free oil changes. I prefer to know it's done correctly, so I do it myself.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I'm just too lazy and I also go to one of the rare dealerships that has a really wonderful service department with technicians who actually take pride in their work and know the car backwards and forwards. Even under these circumstances I always wonder if when they fix something they won't mess up something else (which has never happened but I still wonder), so I know what you mean.
Benjamin

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a Mobil 1 0w-20 available. I changed oil with it about a week ago. As mentioned in earlier posts, Amsoil makes a 5w-20 oil. Since Honda specifies a 0w-20 weight oil, I decided to use Mobil 1. Both are excellent oils.

I prefer the 0w rather than the 5w not only for the colder climate I live in, but also to get the oil circulating as fast as possible when using the auto-stop mode.

Gary

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Where did you get the Mobil1 0W-20? They announced it way back in November and I still can't find it. I even poked around the Mobil1 website and couldn't dig it up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did you get the Mobil1 0W-20? They announced it way back in November and I still can't find it. I even poked around the Mobil1 website and couldn't dig it up.
ditto here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts