Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of taking my transmission out to pop this newer one I have in. I am almost ready to take the sucker out, but ran into these and am not sure how they come out. No matter what I do, they are not budging. With things like this, I assume there is a trick to getting these to reasonably come out. Anyone know the answer to this, I am at a stop until this gets resolved. Thanks for the replies and help, it will be very appreciated. I am talking about the giant orange cables, if it wasn't obvious :p Bolts are there till answer so they don't get lost.
WP_20200627_17_47_57_Pro.jpg

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
Dread227;
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Thank You.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, that is fun. Last I checked there is stuff over that, hopefully nothing too hard to move. I am surprised at the amount of **** that I am having to move to get to this thing. This is nutty. Ugh. Well, I very much appreciate the help, this pretty much answer my question.

So, my next question: Given the fact that those are a part of the hybrid battery, do I have to crack open the back to turn off the battery? Or is that place powered down while the car is not running? This is going to be 3000% more work if I have to crack that open. I really really hope not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that sucks. I hope that it is where I think it is or it is going to be a ton more work. F*** man. You know something, all the videos I've seen are very disingenuous about changing out this transmission. 0% of them actually indicate that you have to deal with the battery at all. I just don't want to take all that off. I changed out my hybrid battery myself and having done that, I cringe thinking about having to do that again on top of the transmission work. Hopefully, it is more accessible than I remember it being.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s under the back carpeting in the middle, You have to turn off the switch period you don’t have take everything apart to do the voltage test, but wait at least 10 min for any capacitor discharge to take place

I take no responsibility for YOU not doing the full process and following safety procedures

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I like living. I was freaking because I thought it was deeper into the box. It won't be an issue. I will be hitting the main power switch and call it good and then get it all back together. This is a crazy amount of work to get the transmission out. The car is definitely worth it. I am glad there is a huge following for this car that it is justified to have it's own forum haha. Thank you so very much for helping with this answer. You have made the day worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I want to say, having switched out the battery not 1, but 2 times, I am a bit of an expert on the battery now. I know not to mess with those cables or any of that. In fact, I actually manual charged the batteries the first time I did it. They took the charge and lasted about 1 month. That indicated that the battery sticks were to far gone to hold the charge. Needless to say, I had to do that again after I got a new battery from Bumblebee Batteries. Those guys are amazingly great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man. These cars are something else, but at the end of the day.... it's all worth while. I love my little blue Insight and wouldn't change out for anything in the world.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
Well the real answer is the High volt cables don’t have to be disconnected to get the transmission out. They stay attached to the electric motor and the transmission comes out just fine.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
By the way the other part above the High bolt cables is the coolant distribution block and to get it off requires removing the intake manifold, so you can access the wire harness and metal cooling pipes that are bolted to the front of the engine block. Otherwise you can’t get the distribution block off. Also, under the intake manifold is the worlds most fragile knock sensor plugged into that wire harness.
Also, if you take the distribution block off, you will need to properly bleed the air out of the cooling system.

May the force be with you.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way the other part above the High bolt cables is the coolant distribution block and to get it off requires removing the intake manifold, so you can access the wire harness and metal cooling pipes that are bolted to the front of the engine block. Otherwise you can’t get the distribution block off. Also, under the intake manifold is the worlds most fragile knock sensor plugged into that wire harness.
Also, if you take the distribution block off, you will need to properly bleed the air out of the cooling system.

May the force be with you.

Scott
It looks like it is attached, but I will investigate before I do any further work. I'll just make sure to ensure that it doesn't break if I drop it. You know, better safe than sorry approach is the best course of action. I am actually happy that it doesn't have to be removed because it looks like a ton of work. Alright, thanks for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
You are correct, they LOOK attached but they are not. The engine, electric motor and transmission are all separate pieces. The electric motor bolts to the back of the engine, via a couple of bolts inside the bell housing, not visible. Then the transmission bolts up and the long bolts that hold the transmission in are long and go to the back of the engine sandwiching in the electric motor. One the long bolts are out and you have all the other thing disconnected the transmission come out independent of the electric motor and orange cables.
Here is a picture from the bottom of the car with the transmission out.
We’ve had probably close to 100 Insight transmissions out at our shop.

Scott
Killer3Cylinder

DAMN NEAR 40 YEARS OF AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE 😀

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh, that is fun. Last I checked there is stuff over that, hopefully nothing too hard to move. I am surprised at the amount of **** that I am having to move to get to this thing. This is nutty. Ugh. Well, I very much appreciate the help, this pretty much answer my question.

So, my next question: Given the fact that those are a part of the hybrid battery, do I have to crack open the back to turn off the battery? Or is that place powered down while the car is not running? This is going to be 3000% more work if I have to crack that open. I really really hope not.
Turn that switch off. ⚡

·
Registered
367 Posts
It’s probably not necessary though. I’m thinking it’s a good precautionary measure though, just in case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts