Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You are correct, they LOOK attached but they are not. The engine, electric motor and transmission are all separate pieces. The electric motor bolts to the back of the engine, via a couple of bolts inside the bell housing, not visible. Then the transmission bolts up and the long bolts that hold the transmission in are long and go to the back of the engine sandwiching in the electric motor. One the long bolts are out and you have all the other thing disconnected the transmission come out independent of the electric motor and orange cables. View attachment 86120 Here is a picture from the bottom of the car with the transmission out.
We’ve had probably close to 100 Insight transmissions out at our shop.

Scott
Killer3Cylinder

DAMN NEAR 40 YEARS OF AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE 😀
Thank you for the picture, that really clears up everything I need to know. This reply of yours was extremely useful, having a visual is always the best thing. Alright, about to go get to work on this sucker. Hopefully, I'll get it out today and then get the new one started going in tomorrow. Been a lot of work, but it's pretty rewarding :p

·
Registered
03 Insight MT, 94 BMW E34T, 81 Hilux, 73 Ford P400
28 Posts
I'm no expert on hybrids - this is my first, actually - but seems logical enough to check for voltage between each of those cables and between ground, and if it's zero for all six combinations, you're safe to proceed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
those are not required to be removed to take the tranny out. If you're an automatic it's really quite simple to pull it out if you're Emmanuel it's barely any harder. what's an absolute pain in the *** and might take you 5.5 hours like it took me was to unthread the wiring harness to swap out an engine. find my research 5% of all Honda insights have had porosity problem can the camshaft and they break cams.

But you don't have to take those power wires which power the hybrid setup out of that that is a hybrid motor that they're plugging into.

Is yours an automatic or a manual?

It took 2 hours to get my automatic out because we had a failed torsional damper plate for the CVT with no teeth and what little teeth remained was preventing the pulling of the transmission.

and the shaft speed fault codes for the transmission, I have all of the Honda factory service manuals, and Honda claims that the only thing that can cause those codes are failed sensors and bad wires.

In fact if you lose the splines on the torsional damper the transmission will have no idea what the speed of the input or output shafts are and potentially give you all of those different codes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Leave them attached and turn off the power
We just swapped our transmission out
These are not part of the actual transmission
These hook to the power assist with the big magnet

21 - 25 of 25 Posts