Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 1 dealer tell me I need a special tool to change them and another say there's nothing unique except that I need platinum or they need to be changed every 30k. Has anyone changed theirs yet? How do I remove all the tiny wires from the top of each cylinder? How about gap?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The plugs are Iridium not platinum and the replacement interval is every 100,000 miles or 160,000 km.
The service manual that comes with the car has all the recommended service intervals listed.
Don't trust what the mechanics say.
Make sure they look up the info on the Honda database.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yea, the Insight is probably the only production car that uses Iridium plugs stock. They cost about $15 a piece. They can spark in less voltage (or in the Insight's case, spark through a huge gap in a lean mixture). The only tool you should need is a deep well socket. Do some searching around because I've heard the plugs are specific to the engine and there are a few different sets (A,B,C) you can get.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Kapps:

___Yes, the Insight plugs are indexed so when you pull a particular plug, you replace it with the exact same indexed plug (A, B, or C) to somewhat align the electrode to a particular position for best ignition. The block should be stamped with which of the three are needed for each of the 3 cylinders.

___On a side note, just like oil changes using only 2.5 quarts, 3 plugs are less expensive then 6 or 8 ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:28pkgo0s][email protected][/email:28pkgo0s]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plug removal

Does anyone here know how to remove the parts over the top of the plugs? It looks very confusing

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took photo's of my sparkplug change

I'll try and post them soon....
No special tools needed, a torch wrench is nice to have but not needed. just turn the plug slow and you'll feel a little pop..... I ask 2 Honda dealers in Charlotte, NC and even called one on Calf. (seeing they have more Insight there...

It took me 20min

You do need to pool the plug to see what you need A,B,C
I had all "B's"

James Meskill
2000 Insight 120,000
76MPG

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: plug removal

dfiore said:
Does anyone here know how to remove the parts over the top of the plugs? It looks very confusing
Press on the "tail' of the locking clip on the wire connector to unplug it from the coil.
10mm socket with extension on a ratchet to remove the single bolt holding the coil in place.
Pull the coil up which also removes the spark plug cap. You may need to "wiggle" it a bit to get it to release.
You need a 5/8" plug socket with a 10" or 12" extension to remove the plug.
If you have good eyesight after the coil is removed, you can see the letter that is stamped in the tip of the plug.
I just orderd a set from Majestic Honda yesterday for $13.85 each. They had them in stock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts