Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Honda Insights and love both cars, but....

One, which is a 2001 Automatic, the battery level seems to STAY charged all the time....close to the top of the scale.

The second car, a 2000 Standard, the battery level goes high, drops low, goes high, stays in the middle, goes low,...etc.

I can't understand why the Standard battery level does NOT stay high like the one in the Automatic. The 2001, automatic, has 94,000 miles and has the SAME battery pack. The 2000, standard, has 104,000 miles BUT had a new battery pack put in last October, 2005, when it had 94,000 miles.

I'm generally a slow driver, coast a lot, drive below the speed limit, etc. and DO the things Insight drivers DO to get good mileage. (I've been a member here for a while and have read hundreds of threads).

But would like to know why I can't keep the battery pack at a 'high level' and keep it there like it does on the automatic. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated....

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You've identified the resulting SoC indication that has apparently pushed Honda to decide to _ONLY_ offer future hybrids (at this time) in CVT versions.

Its the nature of displaying, charging (CHRG), and loading (ASST) any hybrids battery pack. And how the battery will respond under varying conditions.

Simply put a CVT can by its very design better balance IMA CHRG & ASST _AND_ engine load. Better balance = better SoC "control" and in theory "happier" batteries.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting..

Thanks, John, very interesting comment. I did NOT realize that a CVT car could 'control' something like this so much better than a standard. I still love the standard shift though.................

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree - the manual transmission is my first preference with any car. I just feel more "in tune" with the car. With automagic, it feels like all you're doing is aiming...

No offense to CVT owners. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wish it ended there, but the biggest reason why I go stark raving mad every time I drive an automatic is that the car is CONSTANTLY fighting me and what I want to do. In a regular automatic, it ALWAYS kicks down when I don't want it to. In a CVT, it's turning the engine way faster than it needs to for the given situation, either wasting gas or harrassing you with noise.

I'd really like to drive a manually controlled CVT. Just imagine your typical manumatic control but having an analog control for your gear ratio. Now that would be pretty cool....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts