Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I am pleased to share a common example of the hybrid battery benefits that our Hybrid Automotive charger & discharger systems provide to our customers. The above graph is a before and after data comparison of a 2005 Prius with 140,000 miles on its original hybrid battery. The before graph shows the 4.6Ah usable capacity of the pack. Before using our grid charger and simple discharger the car exhibited the common weakening battery symptoms: decreasing MPGs, re-calibrations, and diminished EV mode. After performing two deep cycles of the battery pack, usable capacity increased to 5.5Ah, a 19% increase.

The above test was performed by first logging the packs performance 'as is' after being daily driven over 50 miles per day five days a week. The grid charger & simple discharger were used to perform the pack refresh by charging for 22 hours to rebalance the pack cells, then discharging to 80V, charging again to peak voltage, discharging again to 30V, and finally charging back to peak voltage.

The post test was performed using the same load and data logging time intervals. You can easily see increased capacity and voltage levels throughout the usable range of the battery pack. The owner of the vehicle is reporting increased EV mode frequency, better MPGs & performance, and excessive smiles. We get this feedback from our customers all the time. I'm happy to be able to share a quantifiable example of the benefits of using our products and what they can do when used as preventative maintenance. We will be repeating the process with an Insight pack soon and will be sure to share the results :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts
I agree nice work Jeff, and shows the benefit of deep discharging/cycling nimh well.
Insight's/Civic's do benefit in a similar way and several on here have seen good results in adhoc deep cycle testing with lazy packs as you know.

As an aside I deep cycled a brand new pack yesterday and am fitting it to a car shortly.
I charged it for 24hrs then discharged it to ~0V and then charged it again.

Because the cell were new and top balanced I'm thinking discharging to 0V will have minimal reversing issues.

I'm also postulating an initial deep cycle will wake up the sticks better than the normal car forced charge or routine cycling and make the pack perform better from the off.

Only time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts