Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the battery does a recal, how long should it take for the battery to completely recharge? I experienced my second recal in two weeks since buying this 2000 Insight, and this time the battery charge is not coming back up. The recal occurred on Sunday, and I have driven to and from work (5 miles of stop-and-go over neighborhood streets) five times since that event. The battery has recharged to slightly below the halfway point and it won't go any higher.

The first time this happened, I took it for a 10-mile ride down a curvy country road (40-50 MPH) and it charged right back up. This time, I may get a bar or two of charge on the trip to/from work, but it quickly dissipates when the assist mode kicks in.

So what I'm asking is twofold: how long does it take to recharge after a recal, and at other times, what does your car's charge indicator usually show? A full charge? Eight percent? Halfway?

I'm keeping a log of the recals - and trying not to panic or think this is a problem yet. I'm at 58,000 so I have a little while before the battery warranty expires. Lifetime MPG is 60 and I'm getting about 58-61 MPG on this tank.

Your input is appreciated. I have been reading these forums for the month it took me to research and locate a used Insight. I am loving the car (my husband is less enthusiastic because of the harsh ride).

Jennie

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
YOu should not keep your battery discharged for days.
I suggest after you drive your Insight (so the engine is warm) park the car and idle at 3500 RPM for a few minutes. Your battery should be fully charged in about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Guillermo said:
YOu should not keep your battery discharged for days. I suggest after you drive your Insight (so the engine is warm) park the car and idle at 3500 RPM for a few minutes. Your battery should be fully charged in about 5 minutes.
I disagree. It is normal for your IMA battery to be hover around the half to two thirds full level (mine does with my heavy right foot) and after a recal it will also stop forced charging when it reaches about a third full. Force charging yourself just wastes fuel.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
NiMH batteries (unlike NiCad) won't be harmed by operating at a state of moderate charge for extended periods of time.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yeh,

And remember that when the display shows empty, it is not. It is probably between 25% to 45% of it's charge.

Specially since the BCM cold weather recall. The empty seamed to be twice has filled than before (I get assist with only 2 bars and for quite a while)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's okay to let the battery charge go down and fluctuate at the halfway point or below, and just wait until the next time it has an opportunity to charge back up?

FYI, I did the forced charge and it recharged to full within the promised five minutes. I want to know everything there is to know about this car, including how to do some of the maintenance myself, but that means I'm really starting from scratch. So thanks everyone for their patience with my question!

Jennie - Red 5-speed 2000-3828

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
jmeubank said:
So it's okay to let the battery charge go down and fluctuate at the halfway point or below, and just wait until the next time it has an opportunity to charge back up?
Yep, that's fine - you wouldn't be using the battery as it was intended otherwise! HTH

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I might mention here a long time to recharge after frequent recals sounds like a sure sign of battery deterioration unfortunately. I've only had one recalibration that I didn't induce and it was under the most unideal conditions possible. a 100+ degree day (in the shade) driving with the AC on pretty heavily around 75 to 80mph, when I hit a pretty long hill. Half way up where it gets to the steepest part where you need the IMA badly I watched the charge just drop off.

After getting up the hill just barely not being ran over the car started force charging, but would do it intermittently. When I stopped a little while later I tried reving to charge it and it would only do it on and off again. Can we say cooked batteries? Well anyways it took over an hour after going back down that long hill plus more intermittent force charging to get the pack back up to full. And the car was in thermal cut back the rest of the day until it sat overnight.

I think that would have to possibly be the most extreme case scenario, but that was probably the time when I was least happy with my car.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's important to learn how to drive the Insight in such a way that when you reach your daily commuting destination the battery is usually at least close to fully charged. Unless there is a heavy wind that day etc...
If you drive everyday to work and home and your battery doesn't end up more then 50% charged many days in a row, you aren't driving efficiently enough.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Have you read?:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 61e33af5fd

There are a few SoC scenarios which occur but don't have a good definition as to what or why, yet. My new (for me) SoC behavior that started last fall has 90% diminished and returned to the familiar "like new" state.

And I have now experienced a "Rick Reece" moment where I was counting on a 100% IMA boost but got something less (but more than 0%).

Please feel free to add _your_ carefully defined IMA event(s) to the thread. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Trekker-

I look foreword to seeing your “recal’s,…” thread revitalized. Do others notice the “headlights on” trick’s effect? Maybe with the return of warm weather…

Guillermo-

Your comment made me wonder… I am contemplating a move to the “country” where the drive home will involve a 2000 ft. climb. Will routinely leaving the SOC at <50% overnight be hard on the battery?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I downshift into a lower gear at the last large uphill before my home, (so that the engine has lots more power and doesn't need assist) so that when I park my Insight at home the battery is almost fully charged.
I don't think it would damage the battery leaving the SOC at <50% overnight but I would rather not make that a habit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It may be the 12V battery

Take a look at my posting in thread http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1451 as well as http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... sage/15256 . I was seeing the same problem and pulled out the Furukawa battery and hooked it to a charger. Short story; after having it on the charger for two hours, I was able to get back to a full SOC (I had a gell cell connected in place of the Furukawa battery so the computer never reset). There appears to be a small internal in my battery that is causing it so self-discharge and constantly draw current from the charging system. My car is also a 2000 so it is possible they are reaching the end of their useful life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts