Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking for the last couple of years about putting a set of LED lights in the little window on the hatch that lights up and it says "Charging", it would work with a vacuum switch (Hobbs switch).

It would work when you release the gas pedal, as the car starts charging the lights would turn on, but it would also have another circuit so when you touch the brakes, it would light up another set of lights as well, when you come to a complete stop, the engine would turn off, and since it's wired to the vacuum switch, the "Charging" lights would turn off as well.

So picture this, take your foot off the gas, "Charging" turns on, but not too bright, when you step on the brake it would get brighter, it would not affect your regular brake lights.

It would also let the driver behind you the reason you are going so slow, the would be able to see you are charging the batteries, not only would this educate the public, but also get them off your back.

What do you think?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting. More tailgating ammo, I would think. "What's that funny little light? Let me get a little closer...AAAAGGGHH!" ;)

How about a display for the instantaneous mpg, in numerals? Do you think this is possible? I would love one of those. Sorry to veer off topic

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Holicow said:
How about a display for the instantaneous mpg, in numerals? Do you think this is possible? I would love one of those. Sorry to veer off topic
I've been thinking about this for a while. The best I can come up with (without hacking the dash) is a small CCD camera and an LCD display...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Holicow said:
I know you can get a license plate bracket with LED's on it. It's designed to type in a scrolling message via an RS232 cable. It should be possible to plug in the cable to the onboard computer and have it throw just the right data to the LED's.

I have neither the time nor the knowhow to do this though.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about showing the MPG but seems too complicated, would love to see other drivers reaction when it reads 95MPG :D which I reach almost every day in the morning going to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts