Honda Insight Forum banner

Cheap Red Gen1 for parts in Greenville, SC area

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  nakona1 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a Red 2000 Insight for sale for parts. Will let it go cheap, make your offer. Whatever you think is fair. And you have to pick it up or get it towed as it's dead :(

The engine just stopped on me on the highway. Mechanic diagnosis: turns out the cam shaft |B| cylinders 2 and 3 has broken. So the engine is kaput. I loved this car. 243,195 miles on it and was hoping to get more.

Did my best to keep up with it both on my own (battery stuff) and using Honda mechanics (the rest).

The Good: Front 2 tires and the spare are brand new. Rear tires have maybe 5-6K on them. Fuel pump went last year and so that's basically new. Replaced the radio in 2015 (honda oem). Three brand new spark plugs in there from when they were trying to rebuild pressure in cylinder three. You're probably wondering why spark plugs when there's an IMA.

That brings:

The Bad: The IMA died in 2013 and wasn't under warranty, so I used hybrid-battery-repair dot com; dropped off the 144V to their shop on Staten Island, drove it back home with a junction board. Took about a year of me bugging them to actually get a battery shipped. Their battery lasted a little over a year. From what I hear it was rare to even get a battery from them. Terrible company. Wish I would've had bumblebee around then. Left the dead/underperforming IMA in a while, but eventually it wouldn't start up. I put the junction board back in a couple years ago and that's how I've been driving it. The dead 144V is in a case, pictured. I didn't want to open up the rear just to photograph the junction bypass board, but it's in there. All unecessary foam, hardware, and BCM/cage are outside the car (due to junction board install) and have been stored in a cool, dry place. I just replaced the 12V a few months ago, but it's dead now. I assume from mechanics trying to rebuild compression in that third cylinder before they knew the shaft had broken, they were probably cranking it a bunch. Also driver's side tie-rod end snapped a few years ago, so that was replaced in 2017.

The Ugly: Water damage to seats from the weather stripping deteriorating and rain just dripping in. I stored it in a carport, but rain on the road and during parking happens. Dings on the front and sides, mostly from it being towed to two difft' mechanics and then back to my home. Rear hatch no longer stays up. There's a nick on the passenger side from where I clipped a curb in low visibility.

I don't own a vacuum and this car isn't moving, so, dirty mats! Sorry.

Anyhow-- it's been a great car for me. I got from SC to PA on one tank of gas, 69MPG on the way up. Drifted behind a truck on the way back south and got 86, personal record for any trip.

Let me know if you're interested, I'd rather it go to someone who loves these cars than ship it to a junkyard.

See less See more
#3 ·
The seat stains can be cleaned by removing the cover and washing it in a washing machine. More critical would be the bolster wear on the driver's seat. Does the car have the factory foot well carpets?

Lots of good parts there:)

#9 ·
jackhalf:
Please include your Location in your profile. Thank you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.