Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone advise me where I can get a set of inexpensive replacement tires for my Insight? Non-Oem is okay with me, even though I know it will detract from the mileage.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Robert

·
Registered
466 Posts
i got my sumitomo HTR-200s at tirerack.com:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... el=HTR+200

175/65/14

fits fine, handles great. cost me 40 each plus shipping and 15 each for mounting and balance.

doesnt work out any cheaper than oems from costco, but they actually have some grip! i estimate about 8 mpg loss.

·
Registered
95 Posts
YEah, I was going to say, the stock Potenzas are about as inexpensive a tire I've seen for a quality, OEM spec item. We've seen folks here on the forum claim more than 60k miles on their originals by ensuring they're properly inflated and observing a proper rotation schedule. FWIW, the originals on mine had been totally neglected by the first owner but still had some life in them at 30k miles. I opted to toss 'em and get a fresh set from Tire RAck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheap tire result

Well, here's what I did. I found a local place (Belle Tire) that will match the lowest price and then I got a price from Tire rack including shipping and a price from a local place for mounting, balancing and disposal fee. Bell Tire matched it. Total was $330...not as cheap as I would like, but better than the $420 quotes I got elsewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tires

check out the kumho on tire rack size 195 at 34.00

·
Registered
66 Posts
Given the service life of the OEM RE92s, you do realize that you'll save at least 100 gallons of gas over the life of the tire. (Assuming 66mpg stock and factoring in a 8mpg loss posted by HafNHaf). That's more money than a brand new set of tires cost! If saving money is your goal, I can't think of a single rational reason why you would go for anything other than the RE92 on the Insight.

The cost delta between a set of the cheapest of the cheap and the RE92s are about $60 (I.e, ~25 gallons of gas). You would make up the cost difference within a year in gas alone.

Now, if you want better handling and performance, that's a totally different question (and quite legitimate, if that's what you want). If that's the case, I wouldn't be asking about a "cheaper" tire, however....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry...forgot to mention...the $330 was for the OEM tires, including mounting and balancing. I hope everyone knows that tire places have a serious markup on their tires. The fact that they came down to $330 from $420 makes me wonder what their cost really is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts