Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Insight with about 36K miles (and the Honda Care extended warranty, if that has any application here).

I hate to post what may be an already-covered or covered-in-the-manual question. I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. And I've been letting my mother use my Insight, so it is at her house (along with the owner's manual).

She tried to start her car this morning (San Diego; about 65 degrees) with no luck. It would not turn over, and the "check battery" light is on. I had her check, and she had not left the headlights or any interior lights on.

In recent months she has only been using the Insight a couple of times a week, and usually only for short trips.

Has the 12v battery likely gone out? Are there any other potential causes that I should check for?

If it is the 12v battery, what type of replacement battery should I be looking for? (I guess there isn't an Optima gel-cell battery that would fit?)

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes, most likely the 12V battery is dead.
It's 4 years old and it's normal for 12V to fail after 4 to 6 years specially in places that have hot summers.
Buy a replacement, either the small OEM spec Insight battery or a regular sized civic battery also fits just fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts