Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the "Check Emission System" light come on recently when I started up my 2013 Insight so, I brought it into the dealer where I purchased it 6 months ago (Toyota Dealer) to be serviced. Seeing as I purchased it used, they offered me an extended warranty which I accepted especially since I know nothing about hybrids. Actually, I know next to nothing about cars in general.

Anyway, he told me there were 2 codes that were lighting up. One was Low oil pressure and the other was High oil pressure. Really? Both? He said they removed the dip stick and the car was low on oil. I just had the oil changed less than 2,000 miles ago. He said that the car burns a lot of oil and Honda is aware of the problem. He said that although there's no recall on the vehicle for this, he said they do offer an extended warranty for this issue alone.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have this "Extended Warranty"? My question is, if it's a problem that Honda is aware exists, why should I have to pay for an extended warranty to fix this when it occurs? I guess I'll just have to monitor the oil consumption but that pisses me off that I have to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why would my oil level be low? Toyota recommended that I go to Honda and have them change the oil and after about 1200 miles, go back to them so they can check it out. I used to own a used Audi that I had to carry an extra case of oil in the trunk for because it burned so much. I hope that's not the case here.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Your low oil level has nothing to do with a weak 12 volt under hood battery. 2012 & 2013 Insights have a known issue with excessive oil consumption and a extended warranty. Honda used “experimental” low friction piston rings.
You will need to take your Insight to a Honda dealer and perhaps pay for an oil change there that will also serve as an oil consumption test. Once they establish that your vehicle is effected by the warranty extension, they will tear the engine down and replace the rings. They are also supposed to replace the fouled spark plugs. Many owners have gotten loaner vehicles as well. We have several threads around here specifically dealing with this.
Most are in the problems and concerns section. The longest, that probably has a copy of the letter sent to Insight owners is labeled: Anybody burning oil? There are also oil consumption test threads at the top there as stickies.

I would post links, but with my older devices and new forum software, navigating is practically impossible for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your low oil level has nothing to do with a weak 12 volt under hood battery. 2012 & 2013 Insights have a known issue with excessive oil consumption and a extended warranty. Honda used “experimental” low friction piston rings.
You will need to take your Insight to a Honda dealer and perhaps pay for an oil change there that will also serve as an oil consumption test. Once they establish that your vehicle is effected by the warranty extension, they will tear the engine down and replace the rings. They are also supposed to replace the fouled spark plugs. Many owners have gotten loaner vehicles as well. We have several threads around here specifically dealing with this.
Most are in the problems and concerns section. The longest, that probably has a copy of the letter sent to Insight owners is labeled: Anybody burning oil? There are also oil consumption test threads at the top there as stickies.

I would post links, but with my older devices and new forum software, navigating is practically impossible for me.

Thanks egad. You answered a lot of questions for me. I really appreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Cheech
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing