Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi:

I've only had my 2013 Honda Insight EX (57k miles) for about 5 months and recently while driving uphill, I lost power and had to get towed. Currently, the engine light goes on and four messages pop up.

1. Check Emissions
2. Check Brake System
3. Check VSA System
4. Check Hill Start Assist System

I feel awful that I had really wanted a reliable vehicle and hybrid to save gas after having a 2017 Nissan Versa for 2 years. I also financed the vehicle and the dealership made me pay for registration but did not register my vehicle. Has anyone experienced something similar?

·
Registered
2011 Insight LX
27 Posts
My 12V battery under the hood was going out a few months ago, and the car was giving me these same messages. Get the 12V checked and probably replaced; this is a known issue for these Insights.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Towed, as in it will not crank over and start? If it won't crank over, have the 12V battery tested/replaced.... and then if any warning lights remain use a scan tool to retrieve DTC's or what are called "trouble codes" and go from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

My honda insight hybrid also shown these 4 popup message

Check emissions system
Check brake system
Check ABS system
Check hill assist system

I already changed my 12v new battery twice and sometimes when i remove negative terminal and put it back,when engine start there become normal with no any indicator light shown but the engine jerking and rpm idle unstable...and 1 minute later engine check light blinking and a few second later these 4 message popup again.. I have no ideas what is going on..i've already spend thousands of my money, almost 10 mechanic and workshops but i can driving only few days after came out from repair then these 4 bullshit popup messages make me feels to thrown out these car into the river..
What is exactly happens with these kind of problem guys...
Somebody please help me

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi

My honda insight hybrid also shown these 4 popup message

Check emissions system
Check brake system
Check ABS system
Check hill assist system
What is exactly happens with these kind of problem guys...
Somebody please help me
What DTC's are you getting when you scan the vehicle??

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the first time it show problem with some coil plug and almost all the plug are burnt..
I replaced new coil plug which is not ok only and replace all 8s plug with laser iridium platinum

Driving enjoy for 3weeks then it's coming again.. Same warning lights, jerking and engine lost power...car can cruise 10km/h and decrease to 0km/h when reach uphill

Then second time with another workshop,the other coil plug are broken,and all plug burst again.. I replace the damage coil and all 8s laser iridium platinum hopefully everything goes well but within a month happen again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Towed, as in it will not crank over and start? If it won't crank over, have the 12V battery tested/replaced.... and then if any warning lights remain use a scan tool to retrieve DTC's or what are called "trouble codes" and go from there.

I'm not sure what part of a car cranks or when it cranks, but it does turn on and then I get all four engine messages. I recently also bought a code reader and got P0300, P0302, P0303, P0304, and P0137. I figured getting a reader would give me a better idea than just "Check VSA system" and etc. I just got my car to the shop today and hope that it will be an inexpensive fix as I also have an extended warranty. I hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sure what part of a car cranks or when it cranks, but it does turn on and then I get all four engine messages. I recently also bought a code reader and got P0300, P0302, P0303, P0304, and P0137. I figured getting a reader would give me a better idea than just "Check VSA system" and etc. I just got my car to the shop today and hope that it will be an inexpensive fix as I also have an extended warranty. I hope this was helpful.
For that year and model I would start with all new ignition coils from Honda. The random misfires are a known problem, and you have random missfire code "P0300". The other codes are more missfire codes for individual cylinders, P0302,03,04...
DTC P0300: Random Misfire and Any Combination of the Following:
DTC P0302: No. 2 Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0303: No. 3 Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0304: No. 4 Cylinder Misfire Detected

The P0137 is the second oxygen sensor circuit. I'd ignore that for now until you replace the coils.
DTC P0137: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) Circuit Low Voltage

Reactions: Garrydhu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: A mechanic told me that he either has to rebuild the engine or replace it. Something about one of my cylinders is dead and something about it being scratched. I guess I'll be fortunate that I'll be getting it rebuilt or a new engine? I'm still worried about excessive oil consumption but that must be unavoidable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Update: A mechanic told me that he either has to rebuild the engine or replace it. Something about one of my cylinders is dead and something about it being scratched. I guess I'll be fortunate that I'll be getting it rebuilt or a new engine? I'm still worried about excessive oil consumption but that must be unavoidable.
Dead?

What are the compression and leak down readings for all 4 cylinders?? This is a very important thing to know as far as the correct diagnosis being made.

Oil consumption is a known Honda problem for these cars and had a 8 year warranty extension from the date of first delivery for some models... the tell tale sign is very oil fouled spark plugs. The fix is new piston rings, no work is done to the cylinders at all.

Did you have VERY oil fouled spark plugs??

·
Registered
2013 Honda Insight
3 Posts
For the first time it show problem with some coil plug and almost all the plug are burnt..
I replaced new coil plug which is not ok only and replace all 8s plug with laser iridium platinum

Driving enjoy for 3weeks then it's coming again.. Same warning lights, jerking and engine lost power...car can cruise 10km/h and decrease to 0km/h when reach uphill

Then second time with another workshop,the other coil plug are broken,and all plug burst again.. I replace the damage coil and all 8s laser iridium platinum hopefully everything goes well but within a month happen again
I have your exact problem on my 2013 Insight, 63k miles. My son was driving, and it lost power, started to run rough, and it started to cycle through the emission, brake system, VSA and hilltop assist warning messages. Our regular (non-Honda) mechanic said the plugs on #2 were fouled and oily, and that the oil level was low, and they told me they thought it might be Technical Service Bulletin TSB 16-101. Quote from the repair order:

"The battery was low on charge when it arrived. The battery was fully charged and passed testing. The starting and charging systems are testing ok at this time. The engine is running poorly. The check engine light is illuminated. There is a malfunction stored in the engine computer related to cylinder number two misfire. Inspection indicates that the fuel and ignition system are okay at this time. The number two spark plug was removed. The spark plug is oil saturated. The spark plugs are worn and should be replaced. The engine compression was tested. All four cylinder compression tested within specifications. All evidence indicates that the engine is burning oil. Evidence would suggest that the oil control rings are becoming clogged with carbon deposits. This condition is allowing oil to penetrate into the combustion chambers. It is noted that the engine oil level is so low, the level is not indicated on the dipstick. Research indicates that Honda has a warranty extension on 2012-13 Honda Insight vehicles that have oil consumption that exceeds expectations. Referred to dealer to obtain warranty covered repairs."

Our guy talked to the Honda dealer and explained what they knew and suspected, and we towed it to the Honda dealer. The first step in the TSB is an oil consumption test, but that came back normal from the dealer. With new plugs in #2, they said to change the oil every 3k miles. This was 2195 miles after the initial failure. (We messed up the first test, which lasted for 1000 miles, so we had to do another.)

400 miles later, my son's driving it again, and same problem, warning lights, loss of power. I noticed that once you start it, you have about 5 seconds of good running, then the problem starts. In park, you can't rev above idle. In neutral, you can't rev above idle. And the idle in both cases feels like it will die any second.

So, we towed it back to the dealer, since they were the last to touch it. After seeing the problem, they decided to go ahead and do a ring job. Quote from the repair order:

"Found misfire # 2 cylinder. When removing spark plug #2, tech found piece of porcelain broke off. Spark plug was oil fouled. Will need to replace piston rings 1-4 and spark plugs 1-8. Replaced all four piston rings and eight spark plugs as a one time goodwill per dpsm. Cylinder head removed and reinspected for porcelain piece. Nothing was found at this time."

Not a cheap repair, but they covered it, and I was happy. They test drove it after the ring job, and my daughter drove it home from the dealer, and it drove fine. My son drove it a few times, fine. Today, bingo, rough running, loss of power, same cycle of error messages (maybe I should keep him away from it?) It was at the top of a hill nearby and I could coast back to our driveway in neutral.

I put my scan tool on it: p0000, p0f40, p0030, p0164, p173c. There may be more codes. I would clear the codes and get a couple more each time.

Since it appeared to be running well, and is now doing this, I suspect it's not a mechanical problem, but an electrical problem. So, I may have been burning oil and needed a ring job, but since the identical problem is still happening, I think there aren't actually issues with the emissions, brake system, VSA or hill start. I suspect it's a bad ground. Or bad computer? Or bad coil? But it was running, seemingly well! It's been cold, and I think there might be corrosion on the ground straps, or a weak connection, so I'm going to inspect tommorrow.

So, I've read two threads with people reporting this problem. I thought Insights could run forever, maybe I was wrong.

·
Administrator
13,706 Posts
Bad dying 12V battery or failed/failing VSA module......

Buy a 12V battery voltage monitor and plug it into the cigarette lighter socket.
If that goes/is below about 12V then suspect battery.

If not then suspect VSA module.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Insight
3 Posts
I took some video to show what's going on.
I have your exact problem on my 2013 Insight, 63k miles. My son was driving, and it lost power, started to run rough, and it started to cycle through the emission, brake system, VSA and hilltop assist warning messages. Our regular (non-Honda) mechanic said the plugs on #2 were fouled and oily, and that the oil level was low, and they told me they thought it might be Technical Service Bulletin TSB 16-101. Quote from the repair order:

"The battery was low on charge when it arrived. The battery was fully charged and passed testing. The starting and charging systems are testing ok at this time. The engine is running poorly. The check engine light is illuminated. There is a malfunction stored in the engine computer related to cylinder number two misfire. Inspection indicates that the fuel and ignition system are okay at this time. The number two spark plug was removed. The spark plug is oil saturated. The spark plugs are worn and should be replaced. The engine compression was tested. All four cylinder compression tested within specifications. All evidence indicates that the engine is burning oil. Evidence would suggest that the oil control rings are becoming clogged with carbon deposits. This condition is allowing oil to penetrate into the combustion chambers. It is noted that the engine oil level is so low, the level is not indicated on the dipstick. Research indicates that Honda has a warranty extension on 2012-13 Honda Insight vehicles that have oil consumption that exceeds expectations. Referred to dealer to obtain warranty covered repairs."

Our guy talked to the Honda dealer and explained what they knew and suspected, and we towed it to the Honda dealer. The first step in the TSB is an oil consumption test, but that came back normal from the dealer. With new plugs in #2, they said to change the oil every 3k miles. This was 2195 miles after the initial failure. (We messed up the first test, which lasted for 1000 miles, so we had to do another.)

400 miles later, my son's driving it again, and same problem, warning lights, loss of power. I noticed that once you start it, you have about 5 seconds of good running, then the problem starts. In park, you can't rev above idle. In neutral, you can't rev above idle. And the idle in both cases feels like it will die any second.

So, we towed it back to the dealer, since they were the last to touch it. After seeing the problem, they decided to go ahead and do a ring job. Quote from the repair order:

"Found misfire # 2 cylinder. When removing spark plug #2, tech found piece of porcelain broke off. Spark plug was oil fouled. Will need to replace piston rings 1-4 and spark plugs 1-8. Replaced all four piston rings and eight spark plugs as a one time goodwill per dpsm. Cylinder head removed and reinspected for porcelain piece. Nothing was found at this time."

Not a cheap repair, but they covered it, and I was happy. They test drove it after the ring job, and my daughter drove it home from the dealer, and it drove fine. My son drove it a few times, fine. Today, bingo, rough running, loss of power, same cycle of error messages (maybe I should keep him away from it?) It was at the top of a hill nearby and I could coast back to our driveway in neutral.

I put my scan tool on it: p0000, p0f40, p0030, p0164, p173c. There may be more codes. I would clear the codes and get a couple more each time.

Since it appeared to be running well, and is now doing this, I suspect it's not a mechanical problem, but an electrical problem. So, I may have been burning oil and needed a ring job, but since the identical problem is still happening, I think there aren't actually issues with the emissions, brake system, VSA or hill start. I suspect it's a bad ground. Or bad computer? Or bad coil? But it was running, seemingly well! It's been cold, and I think there might be corrosion on the ground straps, or a weak connection, so I'm going to inspect tommorrow.

So, I've read two threads with people reporting this problem. I thought Insights could run forever, maybe I was wrong.
I added four video clips that show how the engine is idling (it doesn't sound like a misfiring engine to me), what happens when you start (Hafiz's problem, jxyooj71's problem and my problem), that the 12V battery is charging properly on 14V, and back to a tour of the engine. They can be accessed by anyone at Honda - Google Drive

·
Registered
217 Posts

I can't even look up these codes, what kind of scan tool??

Most dealerships have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on work performed, maybe take it back and tell them it's still not right??

·
Registered
2013 Honda Insight
3 Posts

I can't even look up these codes, what kind of scan tool??

Most dealerships have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on work performed, maybe take it back and tell them it's still not right??
I have a ScanGauge II, which lets you scan and reset codes. For this problem, it gives me two at a time, P0000 and one of the others I listed. I think it can only hold two codes at a time. And, I had a P0304, which is cylinder 4 misfiring, so I'm going to check the coils, since that's pretty straightforward. See

·
Registered
217 Posts
swap the coils from any other cylinder with #4, see if the missfire moves.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That’s vv unlucky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, thanks for the videos. I have exactly same problems. I got mine when it had 110k on it. After driving a couple months I realized these cars are burning oil pretty bad. And honda dealer said its out of coverage. So did you find any solution to these problems? Please do let me know. You can email me as well. Thank You! I also try testing it everyday since i got this problem, and somehow the car is responding a little better as if a sick person getting better 😂
I took some video to show what's going on.

I added four video clips that show how the engine is idling (it doesn't sound like a misfiring engine to me), what happens when you start (Hafiz's problem, jxyooj71's problem and my problem), that the 12V battery is charging properly on 14V, and back to a tour of the engine. They can be accessed by anyone at Honda - Google Drive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts