Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last three times I've gotten gas, the next day the check engine light comes on, then two days later it goes off. (I drive every day).

I'm carefull to close the gas cap several clicks, and even bought a new cap a while ago. I haven't gotten the code read, cause it always goes off. I'm thinking the gas cap is not sealing right. Any ideas before I go and buy another one?

Thanks, Jim
'01 #191

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If you go by Advance Auto (and maybe AutoZone), they will read the code for free (in hopes that you will buy something). This would tell you if it is the gas cap or something else.

Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just for fun

I read what the gas cap actually says on it. It doesn't say _at least_ three clicks. It just says three clicks. So I tried that and no check engine light this time.

who'd a thunk it?

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
An evaporative emmissions system leak code (loose gas cap) is a 2 "trip" code both to set and clear. For most people this means 2 "normal" daily commutes. It _requires_ a minimum engine temperature change and minumum distance drive.

While this could be done in one day my _suspicion_ is that there is something else going on. Particularly since your drive takes the "normal" 2 days to self clear (althought such codes will be stored until cleared or loss of 12v).

I'd get the code read and KNOW, not guess. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code update

After having the MIL light go on and off, my Insight went in for service and I asked to check the code. ( the light was off at that time). P0420 (cat). So they reset it and I went on my way.

Well, yesterday the light came back on. So I took Insightful's advice and went to autozone to pull the code. They were really nice. I went saturday at 08:05, just after they opened thinking they would not be busy, they weren't. Only wrinkle was that in California, they can't read the code. But after I gave him my drivers license, he gave me the reader to use. Five minutes later, I had the code (P0420 again) and my license back. And I cleared the code too.

The MIL came back on while driving home, so I ordered a new cat. At 160k miles plus, I guess its due. Estimate $900 for part and install.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

p.s. it was an Actron reader, real easy to use, just follow the prompts.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not to add insult to injury Jim but...

Anything that reduces combustion efficiency can contribute to a premature CAT code. An otherwise well worn CAT that would not code without the "extra" nudge.

As in all codes there are other confirmation and elimination tests that should be performed before a part is replaced. Particulary with the Insight the primary O2 sensor can _cause_ the CAT to fail (new or otherwise) _without_ itself setting a falure code. So confirming that it is still good may save another $900+ expense in the not too distant future.

There have been several rather intense threads on the topic. Use the forum search feature if your interested.

HTH! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts