Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Car Toys put in a new car stereo in my 2000 Honda Insight and NOW the Check Engine Light stays on. Anyone know why OR if this can be reset?

I changed the oil yesterday with NO problem. I've changed it several times before.... Radiator fluid IS fine....ALL fluids are fine and the car does NOT run hot....

BUT this silly light stays on and concerns me. Car Toys said they would take it to Honda. I have a feeling it had something to do with the battery they had to disconnect for the new stereo, but I'm not sure. THEY do NOT know why its on and said they would take care of it next week. I would sure like TO DO SOMETHING NOW and take care of it myself.

Suggestions would be grateful..Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
Before you reset the CEL you should pull the DTCs to see why it came on in the first place. I've been told that AutoZone will do this for free. Or you can do it yourself with a jumper wire from one of the pins on your Data Link Connector to ground (do a search of this forum, you'll learn the details) and counting the blinking lights on the instrument panel. The blinking lights tell you the code, and the service manual tells you what the code means. If you need help looking up the codes, I can do that. What year & transmission is your Insight?
Then reset the CEL by disconnecting the 12V battery for 30 seconds, forcing a recalibration. The CEL will come back on if the problem is still there.
- Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow !!!!!!!!

Shewb...

Thanks for the information. Kind of lost on some of your translation on 'what exactly' to do here. I've reset the "Maintenance" light before, but nothing else.

I have a 2000 Insight...5speed transmission.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to hearing back from you ASAP..

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK I searched the forum and couldn't find it. But since we both have a 2000 MT, I know what to do.
1. Engine off, Key out.
2. Find the Data Link Connector, on the passenger side under the dash. Locate socket #9, should be the uppermost hole toward the rear of the car, if you put a bright light and look closely, it has a little "9" next to it.
3. Carefully poke the end of a paper clip in the hole, and connect the other end of the paper clip to ground. (The bracket that holds the DLC works.)
4. Ignition key "on", don't start the car.
5. After a few blinks, the trouble lights that have errors associated with them will blink in code. After a long pause, there will be a number of long blinks, and a number of short blinks. Count the long blinks for the "10s" digit, and count the short blinks for the "1s" digit. Get it?
There may be more than one error code, so keep counting until you get them all.
6. The Service manual tells what all these codes mean.
Good Luck
- Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll try it.

Jim.

Thanks a bunch. I'm at work right now (actually a reporter for Fox Television in Dallas, TX) but will try this as soon as I get home. I'm interested as hell to see if this works. My fiance, who has my other Insight (with the manual) is out of town. IF I can get you the numbers, can you possibly look them up for me?

According to most sources I have read, The O2 Sensor is NORMALLY not the problem in these situations.

I'll get back to you .... and thanks again.

Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Results !!!!!!!!!!

Jim...

I have done what you said and the "Check Engine" light DOES blink.
One long and four short..........which I guess is 14!

The 14 repeats itself....1 long 4 short....1 long 4 short....etc.

I repeated this process over and get THE SAME RESULTS. I have ALSO noticed that my car is now idleing at 1600 RPMs...It was between 800-1000 RPMs yesterday.

What do you think? I'll be standing by.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
code 14 anyone?

In a multipost wxman wrote:

wxman said:
I have a "Check Engine" light that now stays on. I did a check and found out that I'm getting a Code 14 (thanks Shawb for the help here) and do NOT know what this means. Can someone look it up for me real quick?

I get a repeating one long ...4 short....one long ...4 short when I do a test.

I guess this is reading Code 14... I have checked this forum and do NOT see anywhere where this Code has been mentioned...

ANy help would be appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry.

Sorry about the multi-posting, I won't do it again.

BUT still waiting to see if anyone knows what a Code 14 means with my Check Engine light flashing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
A MIL blinking like a turn signal is one of the more serious.

A 14 is an idle control system malfunction. Honda blink codes are _NOT_ as comprehensive as their OBDII counterparts. Several have multiple causes. Nor do I know off the top of my head how multiple codes are displayed in the "blink" format. Read: There could be a secondary more serious code not being displayed using this proceedure. Which is the main reason I rarely respond to blink code questions.

Except for the "loose gas cap code" that all cars 96 and up can display theres not a simple fix for most.

Looks like your gonna need some hands on inspection and diagnosis.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solution...possibly....

I was told my AutoZone that Code 14 is "Camshaft Position Sensor". Apparently there are 2 Camshaft Sensors on this car. Code 13 is Sensor A and Code 14 is Sensor B. AutoZone told me that THEY could sell it to me for around $89 (would have to be ordered), but Honda, which will do the work, will want to sell IT to me since they're the ones fixing the car. Hondas price will obviously be higher.

We'll see what happens. I'm real careful and am actually a pretty slow driver. This 5-Speed is ONLY getting about 40 MPG. I was told that this could also be a problem in the 'lower' MPG.

We'll see what happens....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wait a minute, Wxman. Is it a code 14 or a code 41? Is there a longer pause between the 1 and the 4, or between the 4 and the 1? The longer pause is between the repeats. ;)
OK, I read your multipost and it sounds like a code 14.

A code 14 is DTC P0505, Idle Control System Malfunction. The trouble shooting procedure is to check your idle speed - with all accessories off, after the car has completely warmed up. It should be 900 +/- 50 RPM.
A code 41 is DTC P0134, A/F sensor malfunction. :shock:

If your idle speed is high, the problem has to do with your Idle Air Control Valve. (IAC Valve) which is somewhere under the intake air duct. There are some easy looking tests you can do in the service manual. Are you going to try & fix it yourself :?: The problem could also be a vacuum leak at the PCV valve, PCV hose, EVAP canister purge valve, Intake Manifold, Throttle body, or Brake booster hose. Can you hear any sucking noises? :lol:

If you disconnect the #P connector from the IAC valve and the idle speed doesn't change, then you need to change the IAC valve.

All according to the service manual. You don't think I actually know any of this stuff, do you :?:

- Jim

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well I just now re-checked the factory service manual. Which AFAIK is the "only" place Honda publishes the blink code equivalents. If yours were an 03 or newer their is additional room for error since there have been a few more codes added.

p.g. 11-7, P0505=14=Idle Control System Malfunction.

See how hard blink code diagnosis is :?: OBDII code equivalents even with freeze frame data isn't too much easier either. ;)

A code _4_ is a Crankshaft postiion sensor. TDC / Camshaft position sensors are blink codes 8 or 58, p.g. 11-8.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this is it !

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the help...

Jim.

I believe it MUST be the Idle Air Control Valve. And, YES, the RPMs are quiet high when its idleing. It's running about 1500-1700 idleing!
This was NOT the case about a week ago when the car was idleing between 800-1000 RPMs and the engine check light was OFF.

Looking at your post, I have decided that this is WAY over my head to try to fix. (I can change oil and some other simple stuff...but thats about it!)
I'm going to take it to Honda tomorrow. I always 'kringe' taking it to the dealer ($).

Do you think this is an expensive trip? Yea...it IS Code 14. Long 1st blink....4 short ones....and then a longer hesitation BEFORE it starts the longer one again and 4 short ones again.

Thanks, again, ALL for the feedback. Is there a place (thread?) where ALL the code errors are located. I actually enjoyed finding this but am too cheep to buy an manual since I wouldn't do it myself anyway..

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You can find OBDII codes in many locations on the net. And since their public domain _and_ the same code is universal across all makes and models (although not all models share all codes) once you find the OBDII code definition your set. (as far as that will take you ;) )

However, it may be a valid "argument" that Honda codes remain propritary and copyrighted. And AFAIK the only place to find them is in a factory service manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts