Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that my check eengine light s on. It's after the Honda shop's hours so I haven't called them or gone in yet. I'm just wonddering if anyone has any idea what this might be.

As some of you already know, my Insight is new to me:
5 speed 2000 silver :)
about 45000 miles now
Owned since Jan. 6

work done in my possession:
oil change
installed alarm
installed stereo (from my old car)

Ok, so here's what happened. Last night I finally decided to valet. I have been scared to valet my car because I worry they won't drive it right (everyone who test drives it doesn't shift fast enough and if they stall they turn the key to re-start when it's not necessary). But I was in a hurry, so I valeted. (is that how you spell it? hmm)

Then, at 6am this morning I let my friend drive my car home since I was still a little too drunk to drive. :) Should have taken a cab. He kept stalling since he's used to his clutch.

So, today I drove across town to my siter's to babysit my hilarious nephew and the whole way the check engine light was on. Do you think the other drivers did something or is it just coincidence? What should I look for tomorrow morning? I will check the fluid levels and call the shop, but maybe there's something else?

thanks
Elaine

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well one thing you can try to clear it is to disconnect the 12 volt battery under the hood for a few minutes then reconnect it. The car will loose the SOC, and will recalibrate when you start it again, but it will clear the computer. This is a quick and easy way to tell if it was an intermittent problem or if somethings wrong. If the light doesn't come back on woo hoo. But if it comes back then there is a problem somewhere and you need to have it checked out.

The other thing that could trigger a CEL is a loose gas cap, wouldn't hurt to make sure it's tightened a few clicks as well.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Disconnecting the 12v battery will also cause a battery regen. Something that should not be routinely forced.

It will also make retrieval of any codes impossible. Some of which can give warning of impending secondary damage. Yes it _might_ be a glitch, but without recording the code and comparing it to the next code you'll never know. And most Insight drivers don't like the temporary lower MPG / power during a regen event. There are several dozen "codes" that cause the light to come on. And none will be retrievable after a reset.

Several have an early warning potential of impending secondary damage. _Generally_ you are safe for an indeterminate amount of time to ignore the light as long as there is no noticeable seat of the pants performance losses. There are uncommon exceptions to this generality so do it at your own risk! _Anytime_ there is a distinct loss of performance or power _and_ the light comes on in response, the car should not be driven. There are specific instructions in the owners manuals of most cars for this situation, usually slower and limit miles, but the risk of secondary ($$$) damage is not zero.

About the only thing anybody can do without a scan tool is check the gas cap. If it nudges tighter before the cap "clicks" you've likely found the cause. This code will reset itself (turns off the light) after 2 standardized drive cycles. Usually 2 days of normal driving for most people. A few blocks around the corner to the mimi mart doesn't count as a drive cycle.

HTH!

:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a 2000 Insight and get a check engine light every once in a while but it goes away after a few days of long drives. I have had it checked out a few times and the code is for a faulty oxygen sensor. But i've read on this board that people have had their oxygen sensor replaced a few times but the problem persists.

My advice is get it checked out right away. And if the fault code is for a faulty oxygen sensor don't pay to get it replaced.

If the check engine light is flashing then DO NOT drive the car, because it's a very serious problem.

cheers,
G

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
check engine light went off next morning. I checked fluids - fine. Gas cap was tight.
Then the maintenance required light went on.
Honda shop took for test drive and didn't notice anything. Reset light.
No problems since. I will keep my eyes peeled.

-Elaine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts