Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine ligt came on today and then I realized I left the gas cap on a pump about 5 days ago. My question is, did I really hurt my engine? I'm getting another cap today, but I'm worried I might have damaged my car.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
700 Posts
Naaah,,

Just replace it and the light will (probably) go out after a few starts. I'm surprised it too that long to come on.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A tight gas cap is part of the emmision regulations so it's required that your car give you a strong signal to get it fixed/replaced asap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback, but my light still isn't going off. I have only been driving it around for a day, but shouldn't the light have gone off? Do you guys know if the light has to be reset? Or should I just be patient and wait to see if light goes off in a day or so?

Oh yeah, I made a mistake in the first post, It took 2 days for the light to come on, not 5. Also, I really didn't drive the car that much and that's probably why it took 2 days.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
700 Posts
If the engine seems to be running OK, then give it a little more time. Like I said before, it may take a few cycles before it goes off. If it does something else funny, or doesn't go off in a day or 2, probably needs a checkup.

Disconnecting the neg. cable of the 12v battery for a few minutes should also reset the light, if you want it off now. Autozone will do it for you for free with a tool, and in addition can tell you what the code is that caused it. That would be my suggestion. If there is truly a continuing problem, the light will come back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts