Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Check Engine" light came on the other day. I checked fluid levels, and it did not run noticably diffferent for the several days that the check Engine light stayed on. Is there a way to (manually) turn that Check Engine light off?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
"check engine" light is usually a signal from your emissions control system that there is a problem, and not related AFAIK to fluid levels. One easy fix is the gas cap -- if not fully tightened it may leak and the on-board diagnostics (OBD-II) will detect this and CEL (check engine light) will illuminate. So try removing the gas cap and retightening, being sure to make it "click" a lot.

If it stays lit, take it to service and they will connect your car to a computer and see what OBD-II is upset about.

Also see this link (which in a nutshell says "take your car in")
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-co ... heckEngine

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there anything else that can be done before taking it into the dealer? I just had the same problem happen today

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have no way of knowing if what generated that CEL (check engine light) is minor or seriious. Clearing it without reading it would be stupid, IMHO.

An OBD2 scanner is needed to pull up the code that generated that CEL. The manual mentions some way of grounding a pin in the OBD2 connector and then the CEL will flash to tell you code, buit I haven't tried it.

You can clear the CEL by pulling a fuse for a seconds and replacing it (I can't remeber which fuse right now). Or you can disconnect your 12V battery for a few seconds.

Here's what I would recommend.
1. If under warantee, take it to a dealer have them check it out. I should only take a few minutes.

2. If it's not under warantee, you still might want to take it to the dealer (or call them with VIN inhand) to see if there is any outstanding recalls (2000s have a recall to replace the ECM because it generates CELs for a good O2 sensor.)

3. Make the decision to either,
A: take it to a shop.
B: get an OBD2 scanner and insight service manual and fix it yourself.
C.Consider your car to be disposable and just reset the light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts