Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
** Fixed ** Check IMA System...Help Please!

I live in North Alabama, and have been without power for 3 days because of tornados. I was using my Accessory Socket in my 2010 Insight EX W/Navi to charge cell phones and laptops. The socket fuse blew, so I replaced it. When I started it back up, I am now getting the system message "Check IMA System". The following is a list of things that no longer work: IMA system, Radio/GPS, Key FOB entry, can't open Hatchback, Hands Free Link, and electric door locks. These are just the things that I know about. I have checked multiple fuses, and have not found any that are blown. I even tried to use my OBD II reader to see if there were any codes. The reader never recognized that I had it plugged into the car. I was worried about driving it, but it is the only car I have that has gas in it. We have a shortage of everything right now. If anyone can think of something that I can check, please let me know. Thanks!

Rob

Edit: I fixed it, so I decided to post what the problem was in case anyone else has the same issue. I got frustrated, so I started pulling and inspecting fuses. I found one called "Back Up". Not sure exactly what it does, but I know what happens when it is blown. Replacing the fuse fixed all my problems. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Check IMA warning... what fuse?

I have got that same problem right now.
My insight has under door entry lights. One was weak. I inspected it and apparently blew a fuse.
The housing has metal springs on the side supposed to keep the light bulb in place, but they are part of the 12V socket so they bear voltage. I think that shorted with the LED's printboard.

But I can't find the back-up fuse mentioned above...
What fuse is the back-up fuse? number, position?
How can you even get them out?
My hands are almost too big to access the dash panel gap, let alone grip those tiny fuses.
I tried to remove nr. 12 (IMA) with fine pliers but it would not budge.

There is some orange thingy that grips the upper leftmost fuse.
Tried to remove the fuse with that, would not snap on and finally it jumped from between my fingers and over the underside of the dash behind the lowermost covering ahead of the door, completely inaccessible. Agh, bad to worse.

Haven't even got spares as the dealer where I bought it provided a spare light and fuse box from a Peugeot with it! They are a Honda dealership, wonder why. Is there some fuse I could use to replace the backup, if I know what and where?
(Horrible to have to type this...)

Anyway, I'm lost. It drives so I will take it to my current dealer tomorrow in the likely event that I can not fix this.
I'll publish the outcome so that even those who are as thick as me can solve it.
But what a **** design that a short in a light can cause this much havoc! Someone at Honda design had too little sleep, or too much.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I use needle nose pliers. Yeah its a small atm like fuse. Ill check, but a bad 12 volt battery can cause similar problems.

Ill see what the US manual says.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks!
That's the one not listed on the fuse box lid... in the top left corner.

Went to the garage this morning (had no time to go check any further myself), they showed me. They called it the 'shunt fuse' btw.
In my case the 7.5 fuse was where the 15 should be and vice versa. :confused: They said that if I'd switched the pair I'd solved it ?!?!
They also said I'm not the first to lose the orange thingy in the A pillar, nor will I be the last. They can't reach it easily too so it will just sit there.

Oh wait, I get it.
The 7.5 is not listed because it is not connected (at what would be the 0 position). It would have replaced the 15 amp fuse and be fine as long as you do not run all of the accessories at the same time. That's why they were paired under the orange thingy that lives in the A pillar. Clever! If you know what its for. Darn.

Anyway if you have this problem those are the fuses you'd have to check.

They also said the Insight does have an 12V alternator along with the IMA system... I don't know what to believe now. I'll have a deep look under the hood this weekend.

Driving without IMA was strange.
Like when doing a steady 50 kph / 30 mph @ 1100 RPM and easing the throttle, it rises to 1500 RPM. More throttle again, back down to 1100 RPM. Hmm. Definitely prefer the DFCO mode.
It does still DFCO while decelerating at a higher speed even without IMA.
Fuel efficiency was far worse in the city, but the same on the motorway.
But I do not want to drive without IMA support. Forget about a quick launch from the lights, the engine needs seconds to rev up. Any but the lightest acceleration sees the revs climb more than I like. I was almost praying to the IMA needle to make it move into the blue zone.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
So, with this blown fuse the instrumentation still worked?

Ive notice a few "wrecked" insights on ebay, but they have no working instrumentation, but the car still works and has the yellow ima light on. Ive been tempted to buy one thinking its a fuse.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
All the instrumentation was fine, just the accessories and IMA were down.
So no power windows, keyless entry, central locking, entry and map lights, radio, bluetooth phone and FE monitoring memory (as if the trip meters were reset, though the distance displayed was not reset. weird.)
Maybe no stability control, even. It felt weird on a wet roundabout. Scary!

But the city lights, low beam, fogs, brakes, engine, ventilation, central dash etc. all work.
If a car has this the number 1 15 amp accessories fuse will be out.
The question is why. If it keeps blowing, would you be able to find the cause?
It could be a cheap buy. It could be a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Well, since you are not immediately blowing the fuse then it sounds like a load issue vs a short. Thats assuming you dont blow a fuse every time it rains.

THe earlier VWs and Jaugars had problems do to the Prince of Darkness. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, since you are not immediately blowing the fuse then it sounds like a load issue vs a short. Thats assuming you dont blow a fuse every time it rains.

THe earlier VWs and Jaugars had problems do to the Prince of Darkness. :)
I had a bike with shorting issues and never got that right. I tried, believe me.

In my Insights case I knew what caused the short - me.
It blew instantly.
When the dealer replaced the fuse I was no longer attached to the electrics. ;)
Before that I simply removed the light housing to be sure. Insulated it, tested it with a 9 volt battery, reattached it after the car was fixed. Nice and bright again. (the light that is, not me apparently)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts