Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm driving a 2000 model Insight with manual gearshift. I've understood so far that controllers for the IMA should be updated on the 2000 model. Is there a way to check if this has been done? The car has not been used very much so far, but I'll drive it a lot so I would appreciate the improvement im MPG...
Thanks for the help,

Andreas :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cimi2001:

___There are ECU updates for the Insight but not IMA controller updates. Some have said the ECU updates cause lower FE but in my case, I haven’t seen it. The ECU updates were supposedly an emissions item if that helps.

___To find out if they have been performed, take you VIN to the nearest Honda dealership and have them look it up. They will tell you if the ECU updates (3), the parking brake, and the lighting harness recalls have been performed or not. If not, schedule the appointment.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:23dutfab][email protected][/email:23dutfab]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Cimi2001:

___There are ECU updates for the Insight but not IMA controller updates. Some have said the ECU updates cause lower FE but in my case, I haven’t seen it. The ECU updates were supposedly an emissions item if that helps.
<snip>
Sorry Wayne there are.

There is an ECU recall update _and_ newer PN MCM's and BCM's that are recomended for replacement with an IMA battery pack _NOT RECALLED_. It requires removal of the IMA lid and PN inspection of the units.

Honda SB# 04-028, May 25,2004.

SEE the old thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 07aa99db3b

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Insightful Trekker:

___I missed that one … Unless the Insight was acting up; I wonder how you would know which BCM you have and why was this SB was released? Have you ever heard of anyone receiving a new BCM here at Insight Central or over at Yahoo Honda-Hybrid? I have not except for those who had a pack replaced. That is quite a different animal then checking if the ECU/Parking Brake/Wiring harness recall/updates have been performed.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2spgfbea][email protected][/email:2spgfbea]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost don't dare to ask, but I went through the whole knowledge base and didn't came across ECU. Since I'm not native english speaker it isn't self explaining... :oops:
So what does ECU (I assume Engine Control Unit) mean and where can I find it?

Regards,

Andreas

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You are correct ECU = Engine Control Unit, similar to a PCM = Powertrain Control Unit (has transmission controls integrated). The terms are frequently interchanged though it's not precisely correct to do so.

EU emissions may not require the ECM update. AFAI remember its a reflash (reprogramming) for an emissions related false code problem.

Its location is on the passenger side (USA) floorboard at the firewall (immediately under the dash)

HTH! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts