Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Insight for eight days. We get a hard freeze at night at this time of year and a day that warms up to 40+F, but the tire pressure monitoring systen alert light has been on since the day I purchased it. I'm getting it checked at the dealer today -- just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any helpful thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
... the tire pressure monitoring systen alert light has been on since the day I purchased it.
Normally the sensors monitor a drop of 'X' percent or a specific number of PSI. Often the problem you mentioned is when the pressures are set outside of the range expected by the sensors. There will likely be a user-friendly reset procedure to establish a new baseline PSI – check you manual or call your dealer to inquire about a TPMS reset that you could do on your own.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know Costco does reset TPMS for customers with tires service done. Not sure if they are friendly enough to tell you how to do that if you're not purchasing new tires from them. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem & the fix is a lot easier then taking it into the dealer.

Get a cheap tire pressure gauge & check the pressure. Mine off the truck was at 50 psi, which was way to high for the TPMS which wants around 35 psi. I took some air out, getting the pressure at about 34 psi,drove around for 5 minutes and the TPMS light turned off.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had the same problem & the fix is a lot easier then taking it into the dealer.

Get a cheap tire pressure gauge & check the pressure. Mine off the truck was at 50 psi, which was way to high for the TPMS which wants around 35 psi. I took some air out, getting the pressure at about 34 psi,drove around for 5 minutes and the TPMS light turned off.
Your fix is relative to original PSI value programmed for the sensors. Most people should reset their sensors to reflect the pressure 'baseline' that they prefer. For example, let's say hypothetically that the TPMS were set to 32 PSI from the factory and would give a warning +- 8 PSI of the factory setting, i.e., above 40 PSI or below 24 PSI. If you ran your tires at 34 PSI, then a reset would bring the hypothetical range to 42 and 26 PSI. This reset becomes increasingly important the higher you keep your tires inflated... for example, many hypermilers drive with 40 PSI in their tires (or more). Using the first scenario described, 40 PSI would be within range that gave no sensor warning, but your pressures still could fall to 24 PSI without a warning, as well. This could lead to a safety concern. My numbers are all made up for illustration, and have nothing to do with Honda's actual settings or TPMS values.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check this out. I took mine to the dealer because the info display said "CHECK TPMS" and they told me one of them broke. They run at about $260 a piece and told me that once my warranty is up I will have to pay for them to be replaced. I asked if I could get the system shut off and not use the system and they told me NO.

Someone find out how to by-pass the TPMS, I don't need it and I don't need it affecting my control of traction system either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check this out. I took mine to the dealer because the info display said "CHECK TPMS" and they told me one of them broke. They run at about $260 a piece and told me that once my warranty is up I will have to pay for them to be replaced. I asked if I could get the system shut off and not use the system and they told me NO.

Someone find out how to by-pass the TPMS, I don't need it and I don't need it affecting my control of traction system either.
From what I've read, it's mandated by law and cannot be shut off.

Do a search of the forum for TPMS - there have been a few threads about attempting to disable it. Nobody is owning up to it if they have succeeded ... again, they are mandated by federal law.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
First of all let me say that TPMS sucks. That being said, without major modifications, I'm not aware of any way to disable TPMS in modern cars. Before it was mandatory, some of the European cars had them. With those all that happened was a TPMS light came on the dash. A guy I know disabled his by taking apart the dash, removing the bulb and installing regular valve stems.

The aftermarket sensors work and can be bought online or in stores for 35-50 bucks each.

·
Registered
350 Posts
First thing is to check the tire pressures. Go a little higher than normal, say around 40 psig. Since pressure decreases along with temperature, you may cross the threshold at night , or when it gets really cold, that the TPMS warning comes on.
Wt the tires inflated a little higher, drive around for a bit and see if the light goes off. If not, there may be a problem with one of the sensors. This will be a dealer or well equipped shop that does tires. The sensors aren't tht expensive, I think around $60 + installation. If a sensor is replaced, it has to be initialized to the car, at least with Honda. Check your owner's manual for which warnings are coming on and how they are acting. That will give you a good idea if it's a pressure or sensor problem.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts