Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2000 which had the recalled (bad firmware) ECM replaced (for the CheckEngine light coming on @16K automatically).

Just 2 days ago, the CheckEngine light came on again (within 100 mi of turning 65K mi.) This is hauntingly familiar to the 16K mi scenario.

Is there anyone out there experiencing the same issue (who has had the ECM replaced on a 2000)?

Thanks
Rob
LMPG 67.4

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The first thing to look into would be the gas cap. If it is not well screwed in or the seal is worn, the CEL will be turned On for lack of gas vapor retention. It takes a 3 drives before it closes by itself.

An ODBII reader would be nice in your situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CheckEngine light (@65Kmi)

Hi

First thing I checked was the gas cap & did a tank fill up.

Honda Dealer says that diagnosis indicates an EGR valve needs to be replaced (and that this is just the start of the fix trail @$240 - after the EGR valve replacement, there might be other issues).

I know alot of folks spent alot of time and money on the first 16K mi issues (and that Honda was 'mum' about there being any real problem until the evidence was overwhelming.

Rob

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Then things will need to start from replacing the EGR. They did not give the code?
If they only saw the EGR code, there is no reason to think something else is wrong. Except if the EGR tubing is blocked and it is the flow that is bad:
Here are some codes:
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Insufficient Flow
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Control Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P1491 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Insufficient Lift
P1498 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Position Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Where 401 might be a blocked passage but the 404, 406 and 14xx should only be the valve itself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts