Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finally happened. I'm back in a Citrus! This is 002136, which started life as a non-AC car and was added sometime in the past by the dealer. I stayed quiet about this far for a few days for various reasons, but I just flew into NY today and picked it up. It needs a little bit of work currently, but nothing crazy. I plan on restoring this car slowly and documenting it all in this thread.

So far, I've driven the car half a mile to get new tires installed. They only had about 2k miles on them, but were nearly 12 years old and very cracked.

Did I mention- I'm driving it cross country to get it home. Oh boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everyone!

I'll start with a proper picture of #2136:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

About 150 miles on the car so far, and it's only thrown a P1457 (which seems to be a common EVAP code for rust belt cars).

It has a second gear grind, but I'm working around it. Bonus! Clutch feels great, it's been replaced if I had to guess.

No IMA light since I bought the car and it hasn't shown any issues. Kind of impressive, since I believe it's the original pack that had discharged while sitting for ~11 years.

Now, here's what I've done since I bought the car:

I changed the oil, using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 full synthetic and an OEM Honda filter. Based on the old filter's condition and condensation in the oil, it was probably last changed around 2010-
Tin Blue Liquid Cylinder Drink

I changed the air filter with a new OEM Honda one, even though the old one wasn't too bad looking (I was shocked I didn't find anything in the airbox). Old is on the right-
Rectangle Wood Font Gas Tints and shades

I also made sure to install a new cabin filter, which was also not the worst I've ever seen. Whoever designed the G1 Insight's inner dash structure can go #[email protected]& themself.
Font Rectangle Wood Gas Composite material
Rectangle Wood Composite material Natural material Gas

Finally, I restored the headlights using an $8 Turtle Wax kit. They came out alright, but I'll definitely be doing them properly in the future.
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

That's all for now! Sorry for the extremely long post.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very nice. Was this the car in Long Island? I talked to the guy briefly but, as much as I would have liked it, I just don't need two Citrus Insights. When you said the tires were cracked I quickly thought to myself "how bad could they be?". Then I saw the pictures. Holy moly. Good call replacing them. Good luck with your trip. Looking forward to reading about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. Was this the car in Long Island? I talked to the guy briefly but, as much as I would have liked it, I just don't need two Citrus Insights.
This is the Long Island car. I bookmarked it when it was first listed months ago (for like $5800 LOL). The ad expired about two months ago and didn't go back up for over a month, but I decided I wanted a Citrus again right after it expired. So I was checking Craigslist, nationwide, at least twice a day. It finally was relisted at the beginning of last week. I instantly called my mother and told her to go look at it. The rest is history.

Interesting bit is that it's basically a one owner car. It was sold new in 2001, last serviced in 2011. Then, almost exactly 1 year ago, there was a new title issued and the paperwork I got for the car includes a bill of sale from that owner just 10 days after that.

Here's my theory:

The car was parked in 2011 by the original owner because of health issues, or maybe the second gear grind. I would assume something happened to them within the last few years, and family obtained the car. Of course, the family didn't want an old Honda- so they sold it off cheap to the guy I bought it from (who never transferred the title).

Have some bonus moss!

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
We are now halfway through Ohio entering Colombus... Zzzzz. If anyone has another insight for sale on our route back(pretty much through the center of America) hmu, I may just stop by and take it ;).

Reactions: TheInsightGuy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ah dang :(. Nah our final stop for tonight is Kansas unfortunately.
Ah dang :(. Nah our final stop for tonight is Kansas unfortunately.
What a great adventure! The Citrus really glows in the pictures. Thinking you will be crossing the Rockies soon. I hope you can avoid ice and snow as I don't think the RE 92 tires are very good in those conditions. Looking forward to hearing more on the trip. Safe travels.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Well current location is...Kansas about 2.5hr out from Wichita. I have some family we are staying with for the night so we can actually get a full nights sleep for once. Car is still running great, IMA hasn't had a single hiccup after it's 10 year slumber, I'm quite surprised.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Excellent. Some pictures would be nice for those of us stuck in the “living vicariously” mode. I even have a little Lou Reed playing in the background:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been driving so much on this trip, I haven't had a chance to update the thread. Currently relaxing in Wichita, KS.

First, let me introduce special guest for this trip- @Balto

Second, I'll list some other maintenance and mods I haven't mentioned yet.

I installed a Bluetooth module for the stock headunit and some Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers (note: they don't fit at all and are currently installed using 3M double stick adhesive, with extra hopes and dreams).

Made sure to swap out the equally watery trans fluid with some fresh Honda MTF.
Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Household supply Solution

Installed an RBbatteries grid charge/discharger. Haven't had a chance to charge it, but I'll be doing some cycling once the car is home. While installing the harness, I checked the pack's production date and discovered it's an OEM replacement from 2007. Very excited to see how it holds up.
Automotive tire Food Motor vehicle Font Material property

And finally, my favorite replacement piece for Insights- a new OEM shift knob. Best $29 you can spend on an Insight.
Vehicle Car Grille Hood Automotive design

Here are some random trip pics.

Wilkes-Barre Township, PA
Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Clarion, PA
Sky Atmosphere Snow Street light Cloud

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Burbank, OH
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

Dublin, OH
Automotive design Gas Font Automotive lighting Technology

Marshall, IL
Sky Car Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been driving so much on this trip, I haven't had a chance to update the thread. Currently relaxing in Wichita, KS.

First, let me introduce special guest for this trip- @Balto

Second, I'll list some other maintenance and mods I haven't mentioned yet.

I installed a Bluetooth module for the stock headunit and some Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers (note: they don't fit at all and are currently installed using 3M double stick adhesive, with extra hopes and dreams).

Made sure to swap out the equally watery trans fluid with some fresh Honda MTF.
View attachment 93477

Installed an RBbatteries grid charge/discharger. Haven't had a chance to charge it, but I'll be doing some cycling once the car is home. While installing the harness, I checked the pack's production date and discovered it's an OEM replacement from 2007. Very excited to see how it holds up.
View attachment 93478

And finally, my favorite replacement piece for Insights- a new OEM shift knob. Best $29 you can spend on an Insight.
View attachment 93480

Here are some random trip pics.

Wilkes-Barre Township, PA
View attachment 93481

Clarion, PA
View attachment 93482
View attachment 93483

Burbank, OH
View attachment 93484

Dublin, OH
View attachment 93485

Marshall, IL
View attachment 93486

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Got home yesterday morning, been too exhausted to write an update. Washed and clayed the car, then used Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax on the car. I expect the paint to get really bad soon unfortunately; California sun sucks. Here's a few more trip pics, more updates soon!

Logan, NM
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Font Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Machine

Cuervo, NM
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

??????, AZ
Sky Ecoregion Cloud Road surface Natural environment

Buckeye, AZ
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Home- Simi Valley, CA
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Finally clean
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome back! Glad you had a safe journey. Very cool to see the photos. The paint looks good. If you keep a UV protectant on the paint and keep it even under a basic car cover it will probably hold up well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts