Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
busy with projects as usual i see. :3
Too many...

Anyway, nothing really to report. I'm just resealing the engine. I don't think it will be starting tomorrow, but who knows. I still have a lot of work to do.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Don’t forget to do the water outlet reseal before you put the new one in.
Yea you kinda have to do it when you swap an engine anyway.

There won't be much progress today. Yesterday there was 25mph winds with 55-60mph gusts and I suffered through it, but it's the same song and dance today so I'm really not feeling it. Gonna work solely inside the shop, so the engine will be 100% resealed and ready to go in for next weekend. This gives me a chance to pickup some parts I somehow forgot to buy(like rotors and pads? Wtf am I thinking).

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,441 Posts
But Hagen, you showed us all that it is so easy . . .

I am betting you have inspired more than one Insightisti to keep one on the road rather than scrap it.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
She definitely encouraged me to just get this car done... It's been sitting for 6 months or so.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yup! Sorry for the sudden dropoff in updates, I'm only at the shop on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Next weekend! I'm taking this weekend off. I haven't had a day to relax in 3+ months and I'm exhausted haha.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finally some updates! Last weekend I didn't really do much. I just got the engine reseal finished, the clutch, and ultimately the transmission reassembled so it's ready to go in. However this weekend is the weekend! I washed the underside of it's 22 years of grime and just got finished installing GAZ rears and Scotts rear springs.

Up next is engine bay itself cleaning, and then engine install!

Before
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

After!
Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Car

Engine and trans together!
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering Auto part

And last but not least, GAZ and springs!
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Engine in and mostly hooked up! Just got a few things left to do. Such as

Exhaust
Intake piping
Battery tray
Oil
Axles
Control arms
Front shocks
Swaybar endlinks
Tie rod ends

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update: It runs!!! The pack is unhappy(obviously) but at least it runs and drives. It's just about the smoothest insight I have ever driven, dispite having 350k. Refreshing the suspension really does make a difference.

The only issue is, it's idling at 1500. I don't have time to diagnose this in depth, as I already checked all the vacuum lines and they were fine, so that will be for a different weekend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Update: It runs!!! The pack is unhappy(obviously) but at least it runs and drives. It's just about the smoothest insight I have ever driven, dispite having 350k. Refreshing the suspension really does make a difference.

The only issue is, it's idling at 1500. I don't have time to diagnose this in depth, as I already checked all the vacuum lines and they were fine, so that will be for a different weekend.
Wow, she is looking better all the time. What a labor of love. So good to know another G1 is rescued... many miles and heads turned in the future. Thanks very much for sharing this, it is inspiring for all of us who appreciate the G1.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Wow, she is looking better all the time. What a labor of love. So good to know another G1 is rescued... many miles and heads turned in the future. Thanks very much for sharing this, it is inspiring for all of us who appreciate the G1.
Thank you!!

A couple of updates for everyone.

First off, the 1500rpm idle solved itself. Perhaps it just needed a couple of heat cycles. Who knows, Insights are weird lmao.

Secondly, this pack is very, VERY sad. From what @EggEnjoyer and I gather, it's a pack from either 2003, 2004 or 2005, to which year we aren't exactly sure, although the serial number seems to point to 2003. Under mild assist, >50A, it dips to as low as 98v! I'm honestly surprised it hasn't thrown a IMA or anything, nor has it neg recaled. I have it going a discharge>charge>discharge>charge cycle, but I have very little hope it's going to help much.

I drove the car yesterday, and then today to Scotts shop. There I got an alignment, and picked up my HCH frankentrans! I'm hoping to get this installed this coming weekend, along with a new clutch. I just tossed a random Honda clutch in it that was at ~7.7mm so it's a 'good' condition clutch, and the clutch feels great, but I still want a brand new one.

After that, I'll be getting new tires installed on a half-brand new set of Volk CE28N's. 2 Are used from a previous insight owner, and two are brand new(ouch.. my wallet).

Beyond that, getting to the interior. All of the removable interior, such as carpet which I need to find a good one, all trim panels, and the headliner will be coming out so I can heavily sound deaden the entire car. After seeing what a difference it made in @EggEnjoyer's car when I did it, I'm very excited for this. I'll also be doing things like installing a shark fin antenna, repairing the trip buttons(surprise surprise, after 350k they don't work anymore), fixing the broken lock actuators, installing a civic center console, and more.

Last but not least will be a complete repaint in the factory Citrus color. This is way, way down the line, as I have to find someone I can trust to do it correctly.

Reactions: Joule

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Balto, do you have a post on Insight Central that summarizes your sound deadening? I've seen so many posts here that seem to attempt it and get very limited success and/or add a lot of weight to the car, I'd be interested in a detailed writeup that describes a successful sound deadening project -- even more if it didn't cause an MPG hit.

Thanks!
Bryan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Balto, do you have a post on Insight Central that summarizes your sound deadening? I've seen so many posts here that seem to attempt it and get very limited success and/or add a lot of weight to the car, I'd be interested in a detailed writeup that describes a successful sound deadening project -- even more if it didn't cause an MPG hit.

Thanks!
Bryan
@Balto,
Thanks for the update on #2139. It's amazing how much progress you have made. She will be a showpiece some day, and a great driving car to boot. I hope that the pack revives, it's certainly worth a try. I will especially look forward to hearing about the refinishing of your Citrus as it is a challenging color I imagine. And I wonder what technique will be used to fix the small dent on the quarter panel, and if there is a certain brand of paint that has the best color match, etc.
You mentioned that you just put in a random clutch. Can G1 owners just use other non-Insight clutch replacements? I am sure other MT owners would benefit from this information at some point. Looking forward to hearing future updates.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts