Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I hope it's headed to Indy. Not sure of the value and what I'd do with it but it deserves a good home where it will be loved.
Gerald

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
Only the body panels are usable. Try to fix it and you invest a huge amount of work and you are always stuck with the salvage title. Bad investment at best:(

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Only the body panels are usable. Bad investment at best:(
Bad investment? What about my other 35 insights?
Think they were good investments?
Thank God I have a sugar momma.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Regretfully you have to pay $200 to register to bid.
Figure a 40% surcharge when you are done. My last $600 purchase exceeded $1000 by the time I was out the door. Then I had to trailer to the location and back home. But with this being only 2 hours away is an addt value. As my girlfriend tells me, "you gotta pay to play". :D
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Well, its hard to tell the condition before the flood. There maybe more usable parts, but they will require a lot of labor cleaning, removing rust, seized fasteners, etc. At best it would be a parts car, but never run or run right.

Only the body panels are usable. Try to fix it and you invest a huge amount of work and you are always stuck with the salvage title. Bad investment at best:(

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Wtf did they do to that car? Try to turn it into a submarine? Poor car..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
flood cars are almost always a complete writeoff. if the thing managed to crank over then they probably bent rods and valves. computers destroyed, fuel tank full of water needs a new pump and flush. then there's the battery and IMA... how much out of all that do you think is lucky enough to be still functioning? not enough would be my guess.

looks like a nice parts car to me, might be worth $500 to someone nearby. the mud on top of the engine means the whole engine was submerged in water, the water lines on the seats show that the battery and most of the electronics were too. i say JUNK IT!

Regretfully you have to pay $200 to register to bid.
if it's anything like most other auto salvage auction sites then it's a minimum of $200 'deposit' to bid with 10% of your deposit being your max bid amount(ie put a deposit of $500 to bid up to $5000), some also only allow auto dealers to register.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Car sold for $900 plus fees. I went up to $850. Would have been about $1300 out the door. Anyone know a member in Suamico, WI? That is where it's going.
Congrats.
Gerald

Edit: there is a big time gen 1 enthusiast/car dealer up in WI that always has low mi high dollar gen 1's for sale. Wonder if he bought it?

·
Super Moderator
6,872 Posts
But, isn't it going to have a salvage title, or a flood title, or something indicating near totaled. If so, it is a bad investment and will never return the purchase plus repair costs?????

Maybe just a mission of mercy by an Insight lover.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Totally agree. Branded salvage title will limit the value and it will be a ton of work to put that shell on another car or do an engine/tranny/interior/electrical swap. I was overpaying when I bid $850 plus fees. I'm happy it's not mine at that price.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
i saw no indication that the IMA pack had flooded itself since there is no IMA light on. i can well imagine that the car was submerged nose down and the rear floated but there could be silt inside the heat exchanger maybe but i think if the BCM had been flooded and was shorted internally then it would show on the dash imo. all that can be inspected before powering it up. but the IMA was powered up when they turned on the ignition.

that is the nice thing about aluminum body construction. not gonna be rusted. just needs interior restoration and i doubt if there is any water in the gas or even in the motor but removing the plugs and draining the fluids before starting are obviously to be performed in this case so i can see why gerald would think it worth the bid.

would be neat to see how this turned out, but very straight body. if i had been the owner i woulda tried to keep it after the insurance settlement and repaired it. all manageable stuff imo.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Branded salvage title will limit the value
On a 15 year old car it barely matters. Most buyers will understand that even a minor tap can total these cars in the eyes of the insurance companies. Had no problem selling a 2002 CVT that was once salvage for $6300 last fall. It's the current condition that counts.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats my thoughts exactly. I worked at a generic auto shop as well as a machine shop. Flood cars surprisingly survive being submerged in water if they were not running when it happens. You just need to change the fluids in all the cases as most fill by the vent tubes and remove the plugs of the engine and rotate it by hand to make sure the cylinders are empty. Once you get it running sell it to a sucker who is unaware of what happened. :evil:

All moving parts end up deteriorating, rusting up, corrosion, etc. Unless its a beater car to begin with it will become one once it takes a dunk into the sea.

i saw no indication that the IMA pack had flooded itself since there is no IMA light on.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It also makes a HUGE difference if it were submerged in salt water.

I have personally witnessed cars that were 100% under water fire up after being pulled out.

Yes, they started up.

To anyone reading this thread. Never NEVER NEVER EVER buy a car that you know has been flooded unless it's strictly being used for parts. Period.

Future rust problems, dash structure rust, seat track rust, seat belt re tractor rust, electrical connectors rotting out, there's a LONG list of issues that come up YEARS after the flood happened.

Scary.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
regardless, i would congratulate them but i feel they overpaid and got ripped off. :/

problem with the engine is it wasn't sent directly to a shop to repair, it sat in some tow yard for a period while it waited for the insurance claim to be filed and now auctioned. the water has probably already done it's damage to the internals of the engine. i also wouldn't trust that just because there is no IMA light that there is no problems with the system. if lucky though yeah the battery and modules in the back are ok but still may be toasted from just sitting unused.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts