Honda Insight Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hi Natalya,

Wow, this looks very interesting. I've been looking for such a thing as I'm proposing to move from England to France, where G1 Insights are very rare indeed. This car is very similar to mine (my VIN no is 588 earlier) but of course LHD - mine is RHD, a British car.

I have a spare door, so I wouldn't need the one offered.

I'm intrigued to know whether the grey seat-covers on this car are original. Mine has seats which are mainly Citrus-coloured. Was this a change, or have these been swapped with a grey car?

The U-ship quote looks very tempting! Does anyone have experience of these people?

Best regards, Tony.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I'm intrigued to know whether the grey seat-covers on this car are original. Mine has seats which are mainly Citrus-coloured.

Best regards, Tony.

FYI - those Citrus colored seats are very coveted.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hi Atheos, Natalya,
FYI - those Citrus colored seats are very coveted.
When I got the car it had grey furry seat covers. As I did all the new-owner things I removed them, and was astonished and delighted by the wonderful seats I found!

Intriguing to learn that the grey seats were specified for N. American cars - the (only) previous owner of my car was a UK-resident US citizen. Perhaps her choice of seat covers suggests that the focus-groups were right!

Meanwhile, still interested in this or a similar car for me to take to France with me. In the present case I sought a uShip quote for getting it to the UK, as ebay seem to have a deal with them. What a shambles!

Wrong collection address.
Wrong dimensions, weight of car.
Insulting communicatons (a long reply to my brief request which had no relevance whatever to what I had asked).
Shipping quotes which were double uShip's estimate, and subject to a load of unspecified 'extra costs'

Does any one know of a competent shipper who can do this at a price which doesn't trash the deal?

Or indeed, am I better off finding an EU car?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Importing these cars across borders can be very difficult. The easiest border to import a car across is the Canada//USA border, but even that one is quite involved.

I am 100% not surprised to hear the ebay quote was totally off the mark.

You should look up online how the French car importing process works before you make any decisions.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hi Natalya,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-Insight/132384641665?hash=item1ed2bd5281:g:WgcAAOSwdSRZ-1LN&vxp=mtr

Citrus 114 is on Ebay right now, apparently in Syracuse NY. This is the lowest VIN Insight I've ever seen. (Sawbite is actually a 2001.)
Does that make my 000065 especially early? It was first registered by a Honda dealer here in the UK in March 2001, but seems to have been built in 1999-2000. Lucky about the first registration, three months earlier and I would have had to pay much higher road tax for all its life (instead of being exempt).

A detail; is there a rear fog light on US cars?

Best regards, Tony

·
Registered
31 Posts
Citrus 000648 for sale on Ebay, also from New York.

Hi! I just purchased 000648. My first Insight. Can't wait to pick it up!

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Please go to the registry at this site:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LpfD9tMm5RZ1ALyxQwJTcxGl2E_FIS35By153U0FyXY/edit#gid=0

and update the information on your car. It appears near the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Welcome to the forum. You will also want to keep in touch with the "Socials and Events" section on the IC forum. You are in range of the "Mid-Atlantic Insight Group" which has two or three events each year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Please go to the registry at this site:

and update the information on your car. It appears near the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Welcome to the forum. You will also want to keep in touch with the "Socials and Events" section on the IC forum. You are in range of the "Mid-Atlantic Insight Group" which has two or three events each year.
Thanks! Will do, once I get more information about the car. Great to know there's a great community for our little cars!

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Colm01,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 'new' gem.

Lots of good info and good people here on IC.

As Jime mentioned above, keep an eye on the 'socials' forum for Insight owner meet-ups in the mid-atlantic region. Great opportunities to meet with and learn from other owners. There are several owners near your area. You are also in the ball-park of the new-england group for meet-ups.

Here's a couple examples of recent get togethers: Frederick, MD , Columbia, MD

Hope to see you at a future gathering,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you! I look forward to the get togethers and advice. This car definitely needs work! Previous owners and the salt have been hard on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Citrus 000648 for sale on Ebay, also from New York.

I picked up 000648. It came with an undamaged Citrus door from 000327. I felt I should let you know about the door VIN

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had read that there were less that 300 of the Citrus made, and at an Insight meetup in San Leandro back in 2005 or 06 I was the only green car (I know, they call it Citrus Yellow). But reading that there are 1200 seems more believable as just in the town here there are two more.

Doubt they will ever discover this board and post about their cars. Not everyone is as crazy as we are. Some people just drive cars...

-Randy

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
VIN number mystery?

Not sure whether this is the right place to raise this, but I belatedly see that the 'Insight Encyclopedia' page (7) on VIN numbers seems to conflict with my experience!

My everyday car, 'Rocket' is JHMZE1350YT000065
And my Citrus spares car is JHMZE1350YT200047

Both are MT aircon cars.

According to the key on p. 7 of the Insight Encyclopedia JHMZE13 applies to all of our cars (Honda Insight 3cyl 2-door hatch, MT 5-speed), though the 3 would be different on a CVT car.

The next figure can be 5 – 'Base' or 7 – 'With factory A/C'.
But both of mine have factory A/C, and both are '5'?
I have a 'Check digit' on both of '0' (any one know what that means?)
Then 'Y' for model year (both are 2000)
And 'T' for the Tochigi factory.

Then the actual number: Rocket is 000065 – which *looks* like a US number, beginning as it does with '0'.
But the spares car starts with '2' – 200047. I've always assumed the spare car was a bit later. Its battery number is higher, and its BCM number is quite a lot higher (7680 204745, as opposed to Rocket's 7680 201153. But according the Insight Encyclopedia it should be a German car, and earlier than Rocket.

Any one shed light on this?

Best regards, Tony.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The next figure can be 5 – 'Base' or 7 – 'With factory A/C'.
But both of mine have factory A/C, and both are '5'?
I can't help with your other questions, but I think I know the answer on the A/C question.

Many cars were shipped with the base configuration and the "5" in the A/C digit. Apparently it was common practice for dealers to add the exact factory A/C as a dealer option, if the customer so desired. Obviously the serial number did not change when this was done. It was a fairly common practice in U.S. I also have a "5" car with A/C.

02 Insightm, a pretty savey owner, told me that there is a way to distinguish this dealer addition. The dealer kit came with extra long wire at the electrical hookup on top of right side inner fender well(in engine compartment). The extra wire is usually folded and tied with a tie wrap. That is case on my "5".

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hi Jime, thanks for this (and sorry if my reply seems slow –*the original seems to have disappeared)
I can't help with your other questions, but I think I know the answer on the A/C question.

Many cars were shipped with the base configuration and the "5" in the A/C digit. Apparently it was common practice for dealers to add the exact factory A/C as a dealer option, if the customer so desired. Obviously the serial number did not change when this was done. It was a fairly common practice in U.S. I also have a "5" car with A/C.

02 Insightm, a pretty savey owner, told me that there is a way to distinguish this dealer addition. The dealer kit came with extra long wire at the electrical hookup on top of right side inner fender well(in engine compartment). The extra wire is usually folded and tied with a tie wrap. That is case on my "5".
I don't think mine has such a wire, but being RHD, like the home-market Japanese cars, the kit will have been different, I guess.

Seems surprising that both of my cars were modified in this way. Maybe Honda were having trouble selling them and upped the spec (A/C was quite uncommon in the UK then). Rocket seems to have been built in Dec 1999 or early 2000, but was first registered for road use in June 2001 (lucky for me, as it thus benefitted from the free road tax introduced a few weeks earlier!)

Still other puzzles about those numbers, starting with that apparently US code on a RHD car. Were the first few examples given 0xxxxxx VIN numbers before the leading digit country identification was introduced? Seems unlikely, but ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
#1051, 138550 mi., base MT with AC, full vin of JHMZE1379YT001051. Just bought this week in Charlotte, NC. Might be the 3rd or 4th owner now, kinda unclear.
Had the pleasure of towing home on the day of Snowmageddon 2018 here in NC. Honeymoon lasted less than 24 hrs before throwing CE and IMA lights... oh well. Have eyes on a red 2k MT w/AC as a spare/donor. Will know Tuesday.
But, I still know I made a good choice; had two compliments and a third unknown neighbor who jumped in to help spot me backing off the dolly, all in the middle of el blizardo. The attention was a little unreal, people just love this color!
Just joined the forum 10 min ago, lol, but been lurking and looking for about a month. My second hybrid and first Japanese car.
Let the draining of the accounts begin!

101 - 120 of 148 Posts