Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Maybe the auto civic has a crappy torque converter lockout?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, we need mo on the civic.

The Insight runs out of gear ratio at about 60 in drive, so the car increases the rpms for mo speed. Before hand it has enough ratio to lug the engine if it chooses to, but it uses other variables. Once you run out of ratio the engine seels a good 80% load constantly where before hand its all over the place and not used til its full advantage.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Measurement error. I suspect the 70mph result for the Civic is not repeatable.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The link says it's aggregated data from 2000 hours driving for each car (8000 hours total) with 2009 to 2012 cars. That suggests a fairly large data set to me but perhaps they didn't actually spend much time at 60mph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The Prius data is wrong

Per a similar chart at priuschat, the Priuses' peak economy occurs at 25 miles/hour at -90 MPG.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Apparently the data is collected from a variety of drivers using an OBD data logger. Depending upon how the data is collected and filtered, there could be a lot of confounding variables. Do the slower speeds correspond with transient acceleration and deceleration? Are the slower drivers driving in the city vs. highway?

I believe for most cars the peak in MPG occurs somewhere in the 40-50mph range for steady state, flat, no wind. I know some folks on here have worked it out exactly for the Insight.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently got a phone app that tracks MPG vs speed via a Bluetooth OBD reader. It will take a while to build up a profile but I'll be interested to see what it will come out with for my I2.

For my typical driving, I drive at a steady 70mph far more often than 60mph. 60mpg is likely to be therefore in either acceleration or deceleration transition until I've put a lot of miles on the car. I wonder if my usage will show a similar pattern?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Can you share more about this app and odb reader? I got an android and ios device plus an elm odb2 device at hand. :)

I recently got a phone app that tracks MPG vs speed via a Bluetooth OBD reader. It will take a while to build up a profile but I'll be interested to see what it will come out with for my I2.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The bluetooth OBD device was just a cheap thing I picked up off Ebay. It works OK with Torque Pro and only cost about £15-20.

I recently started using a free Android app called Drively but it seems to cut off early in the journey if running in the background. I tend to use either Tomtom or Navigate 6 for traffic avoidance so whichever app I use needs to run in the background successfully. The app only launched recently so I'm in discussions with the developer about getting it to run consistently.

I'm also trying an app called OBD Mileage. This has a 30 day trial but will start a £1.99 per month subscription after that (I intend to cancel). So far it's running OK but I have too few miles logged for it to generate any meaningful statistics yet (it needs 200km before most of the graphs start working).

I understand that the graph in the OP was generated from aggregated data from several users of an app and OBD dongle combination called Automatic. This originally launched on iOS and is in beta for Android. It has some fairly good feedback on iOS and mainly just logs stuff automatically without the user needing to faff around with it. It's $99 though and only available in the USA.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Data derived from logging driving conditions is tricky, because there are basically just a few preferred speeds you'd keep a constant pace to; like the speed limit.

Driving at a constant pace is generally more economical than driving at varying speeds (if we ignore special hypermiling techniques like pulse and glide, I bet there was not much P&G in that survey).

Speed variations on the road are mostly caused by congestion.
I suspect the relatively bad MPG at lower speed readings were caused by speed changes caused by congestion. If there is no congestion there are no low speeds so this is biasing the economy readout.

It also explains the bumps in the Prius graph better than the HSD blah.
The low speed bump is because the Prius will likely run in EV mode at those speeds. It would eventually switch to engine power if kept at that pace and the bump would even out. But it is not kept at that speed for long in most cases, so this affects the reading.
The 35 mph bump is caused by city driving; once you reach that speed you keep at it, at lower speeds you are probably accelerating or braking.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the key piece of information is they are not steady state speeds but include acceleration and deceleration.

On that basis, once I've got some results under my belt, I expect to see relatively high mpg at 30mph, 40mph and 70mph, as those are the speed limits on my commute. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a dip at 60mph as when I'm at that speed it's usually either accelerating or having allowed my speed to gradually drop from 70mph on a long uphilll.

70mph will include some uphill but little to no accelaration, as I usually keep to the speed limit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been noticing a few recals since leaving the Bluetooth obd dongle plugged in 24/7. I think it must be slowly draining the 12v battery. I'm going to unplug it when I'm not driving, so that might slow the data gathering down if I'm forgetful.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
.....Per a similar chart at priuschat, the Priuses' peak economy occurs at 25 miles/hour at -90 MPG.
I can agree with the slower speed as above, but maybe not "that" slow.

Back in 2006, I had a Chevy Cavalier, and really got into EcoDriving. The natural progression was to buy a ScanGage, and actually measure what mpg I got a each speed.

For me, the Cavalier got the best mileage at 35 to 40 mph on back country roads.

Fast forward two year later when I got the Insight. Best mileage is about 35 mph in winter and between 32 and 37 mph in summer, depending on circumstances. The mileage drops way off at 70 mph.

There is a salesman that drops by from time to time, and swears that his Mercedes gets the best mileage at 85 mph. Unicorn Corral stuff indeed.

Jim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts