Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone sucessfully transplanted the entire Civic IMA drivetrain, (engine, motor, electrics, battery, etc.) into an Insight?

Thanks,
-John

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Not that I'm aware of...but why would a person that owns an Insight want to do that? It may not be as "plug and play" as one might think. If for performance reasons, it is probably easier to add a small turbo as some Insight owners already have. (see the Turbocharged Insight post if interested).

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The Civic Drive train would add a lot of power, and you could turbo it as well! :badgrin: The IMA would take up a lot less room. You would be looking at about 6.5 seconds zero to sixty if we use Willie's turbo as a guide. 8)

I think we are looking at about a year long retirement project for a determined capable tinkerer with deep pockets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Partially it was idle day dreaming; we've had our used 2000 for about three weeks now and I'm enjoying it so much (bought it for the wife) that I'm looking to buy a second one for myself. You've probably seen the red one for sale on eBay this past week with a hole in its block... ;-)

-John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well no one knows the engineering involved better than you.

I've been looking at wrecks on-line, while there are a few Insights around, there seem to be lots of Civic Hybrids. I'm guessing they are an easy total in the insurance company's eyes, too expensive relative to other Civics to fix. Looks like $1200-1300 would get an entire Civic Hybrid (1st generation) in drivable but salvage condition. Not a bad price for the hybrid motor and IMA system w/battery. (and still have lots of left over Civic parts to sell)

Any chance the engineers at Honda made the 2nd generation IMA plug compatible with the Insight's IMA? Thus one could connect the Civic powerplant to the Insight's IMA. (realizing that the software might not send the right upshift light info, but the basics, auto-stop and battery charge might work out-of-the-box?)

-John

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
They are not plug compatible, and many of the control systems are different as well. The newer Civic's have can buss inter module communications whereas the Insight uses mostly simple logic level communication.
A complete pull of the whole Civic system would be necessary to get a fully functioning IMA. :cry:

My dream Insight will be powered by a hacked Prius synergy transaxle, and be pure electric.
I figured out how to make a minor modification to a prius drive to turn it into a full speed electric drive with differential.
Both MG1 and MG2 will drive the car giving an average 55HP, with peak of nearly 100HP. Only need time and $$$.

;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish somewhere in the Honda parts bin there was a "parallel" hybrid set-up, I've never been a fan of Chevy powered Fords.

But I do like your thinking on the plug-in Insight never-the-less.

-John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well no one knows the engineering involved better than you.

I've been looking at wrecks on-line, while there are a few Insights around, there seem to be lots of Civic Hybrids. I'm guessing they are an easy total in the insurance company's eyes, too expensive relative to other Civics to fix. Looks like $1200-1300 would get an entire Civic Hybrid (1st generation) in drivable but salvage condition. Not a bad price for the hybrid motor and IMA system w/battery. (and still have lots of left over Civic parts to sell)

Any chance the engineers at Honda made the 2nd generation IMA plug compatible with the Insight's IMA? Thus one could connect the Civic powerplant to the Insight's IMA. (realizing that the software might not send the right upshift light info, but the basics, auto-stop and battery charge might work out-of-the-box?)

-John

I would enjoy finding out if anyone's done something involving this kind of Parts Availability...

[edit]

related thread I found

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
How about a transplanting the power-train of a lean burn 1st gen civic hybrid with Manual transmission. I wonder how that would help performance + MPG being in a lighter car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts