Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has ever looked at a stock size Insight oil filter they would be shocked.. That thing is tiny.. I was at the store today and compared a 2000 Insight filter to a 2000 Civic non vtec filter and they had the same threads and gasket size. The Civic filter was longer and larger.

I installed the filter with no problems. Used my digital camera to take a few pictures. My head wouldn't fit :wink: It fit great. I started the car and checked for leaks. None. Waited a few hours and took a 3 mile trip. Checked it again - no leaks.

BTW I compared Wal-Mart brand Super-Tec $2.00 filters to a Bosch $6.00 filter and they are the same.. This is nothing new because its been posted on several web sites before.. Only difference I could find was the o-ring shape. ST was flat and Bosch was round :roll:

Wonder why Honda put a little filter on the Insight when they had the Civic filter to use?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
cakley said:
<snip>

Wonder why Honda put a little filter on the Insight when they had the Civic filter to use?
2.5q of oil to filter vs 3.7+

But the primary difference is how the paper is folded in the metal can. The old design simply "accordions" the paper in a circle.

AFAIK the new design accordions in a flower pedal arrangement allowing for more paper in the smaller size. Guess I'll have to cut one open tomorrow to be sure. Toyota did it first about 10 years ago with the then new Camery model.

How they compare in sq. ft of filter paper area and type I don't know. And AFAIK the new smaller filter is superseding the old. Eventually the old part will no longer be available.

HTH :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
oil filter

The filter on the Insight wasn't developed just for the Insight, and there's no evidence that the Insight was the first Honda to use it. Going back to '00, when I phoned the parts department of a Honda motorcycle dealer, they informed me that the part number for the Insight's filter is in their database, and that thus this filter was already being used in at least one Honda motorcycle.

I seriously doubt that the Insight's filter will supercede the filter being used in other current Honda cars sold in the U.S. Please give us a reliable source for such information.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None the less :roll:

Is anyone saying that the smaller stock honda filter is "better" than a bigger Bosch brand filter?

Is bigger better in the case of oil filters, to a limit of course?

The stock honda filters is just so small. Looks like it would be on a lawnmower. Even though I call my car a go kart :D

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Funny, I call my car an ATV with a body (almost the same mechanics, size for brake, drive shaft, engine,...)

The only way bigger would not be better it would be if the filter did not have a valve preventing the oil to go down the oil pan. Then it would take a little more time for the oil to get to the farthest part (like valves in the head) and would meen more wear for them.

But I beleive that all Honda (and some others) filters have the anti-return valve. So bigger should be better. It has less restriction to the oil flow due to the larger paper surface

·
Registered
348 Posts
I DON'T trust German or ANY other parts for my beauty.
The parts NEED to be japanese, preferably ORIGINAL !

If Honda would have thought that the Civic filter were OK for the Insight they would have fitted it in the first place.
IMHO there is a good reason that they used the teeny-weeny baby filter :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:? I tend to think that any engineer regardless of race will over design an item. Where as the average "joe" thinks in commons sense. The engineers probably used a flow chart :roll: to show that X amount of oil requires X amount of filter size.

I still can't belive that the smaller filter is better than a slightly larger filter.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Insight's isn't an average engine........so it wouldn't have an average filter.
It's only filled with 2,5 liters of oil anyway, so why would you need a filter that holds nearly half a liter. :wink:
You'll have more oil in the filter, than somewhere in the engine where it's been needed, I rekon :?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only need 2.6qts of oil to fill up the car with the new filter. So the Civic filter is holds a small amount of more oil- yet has more filter area.

I'd rather have extra oil in the summer months to help with heat. In the winter weather the stock filter/amount would probably be best.

Just my $.02....

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I recall correctly, most of the US market Honda filters are now made by Fram, notorious for their nuclear orange colored cans of doom. If the one you have is made in Canada that is labeled "Honeywell" near the lip, it most likely is. I recently got one when I changed the oil for the Civic Hybrid. The OEM Insight filter is made by Toyo Roki in Japan which supposedly has superior filter media and better overall design compared to their US/Canadian couterparts.

As for the Insight filter, interestingly enough, it's also used in ATVs, mopeds, motorcycles, engines, generators, and a couple of other Honda vechicles in the japanese market.

As for size, I could have sworn I read somewhere that one of the reasons for a smaller oil filter was for higher oil pressure. I'm not too sure on this tidbit though. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Got a USA made SuperTech ST6607/$1.97 (newer shipments supposedly being made in Mexico) and the OEM Toyo Roki 15400-PFB-004/$5.25 filter. Thinking of cutting them open to take a look at the build quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts