Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Citrus manual Insight
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering looking into a class action lawsuit if WV. Normal registration is $51, hybrid $151, electric $301. I've seen others considering the same thing in other states but can't find if anyone has and if they did what the results were. I know some states like Virginia charged more for hybrids and electric but abandoned it for whatever reason. Has anyone sued and what was the result? My Insight will be 23yrs old next year yet I will have to pay $150 while a gas guzzler will only pay $50. But then again WV is the most environmentally unfriendly state in the country. I mentioned the higher fee to a Prius owner who wasn't even aware and he laughed:confused: Mentioned it to my next door neighbor with a Prius and he was indifferent:rolleyes: Guess they have money to burn. Wondering if anyone would even join in the lawsuit. Thanks for any info you may have.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
No info on lawsuits, I seem to recall someone else talking about this a while back around here. Registration fees for hybrids in Washington state went up something like $75 a few years ago, and when I saw my registration bill I thought it was dumb, backwards, a shortsighted attempt to pay for transportation infrastructure using as an excuse a twisted, narrow sense of 'fairness' (i.e. 'hybrids use less gas and so contribute less to pay for roads, so to be fair we need to charge them more - let's ignore all the other things that make hybrids, especially the Insight, better for everyone')...

I don't have the patience or will or whatever to bother with any retaliatory action, like a law suit. I just pay the extra fee and try not to think about it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You would need to find a bored retired attorney to prosecute a case like this.

The Sierra Club has overturned fees in the past

In my state there are equal protection laws that make arbitrary taxes illegal, part of the common law at the Federal level is the same.

AKA You can’t have an automatic transmission fee because an automatic car is substively the same as a hybrid or manual transmission .
Or a red car tax, same thing illegal

So Gasoline Hybrid taxes are strictly illegal as they clearly violate the principle the the more efficient hybrid transmission is a feigned difference of taxation, AKA it’s still a car that burns gas and a gas motor provides the energy to the battery and all of the cars systems. A bigger battery doesn’t rise to being a significant difference.

Where you will run into trouble on an “alternative fuel vehicle “ like an EV is that most states consider a different fuel substitively different and then you are into the grey zone of fairness, punitive decision making, And regressive taxation
The Sierra Club obviously overturned such a law but a class action is unlikely.

I will relate another story from Wisconsin,
When our punitive tax went in a fellow member with some legal background with an affected hybrid decided to start the process of information gathering needed to start a lawsuit as the words of the law were clearly unenforceable.
He placed freedom of information act requests to get the specifics of how the state “decides “ which cars pay the tax. In our state this information is needed to provide evidence of violations but his requests could be legally rejected because the state (like many) outsourced the administration of the tax to a Republican group IHSMarkit.
Because they are a private company they don’t need to fullfill FOIA requests and it’s unlikely they even need to follow equal protection laws making it a loophole.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am considering looking into a class action lawsuit if WV. Normal registration is $51, hybrid $151, electric $301. I've seen others considering the same thing in other states but can't find if anyone has and if they did what the results were. I know some states like Virginia charged more for hybrids and electric but abandoned it for whatever reason. Has anyone sued and what was the result? My Insight will be 23yrs old next year yet I will have to pay $150 while a gas guzzler will only pay $50. But then again WV is the most environmentally unfriendly state in the country. I mentioned the higher fee to a Prius owner who wasn't even aware and he laughed:confused: Mentioned it to my next door neighbor with a Prius and he was indifferent:rolleyes: Guess they have money to burn. Wondering if anyone would even join in the lawsuit. Thanks for any info you may have.
I mean there IS a rationale behind this.
Gas guzzler is paying more taxes at the pump to maintain the roads per mile driven.
You are paying somewhere between half to 1/4 as much gas taxes driving the Insight.
An EV pays no gas taxes.

Believe it or not the roads aren't free... and they aren't paid for by your income taxes LOL... the reason they did this is actually to make the taxation more fair per mile driven regardless of the type of vehicle you choose.

Honestly they should just change the taxation to milage driven since last inspection and call it a day.... basically a base tax + mileage

·
Registered
816 Posts
Gas guzzler is paying more taxes at the pump to maintain the roads per mile driven.
You are paying somewhere between half to 1/4 as much gas taxes driving the Insight.
An EV pays no gas taxes.

Believe it or not the roads aren't free... and they aren't paid for by your income taxes LOL... the reason they did this is actually to make the taxation more fair per mile driven regardless of the type of vehicle you choose.

Honestly they should just change the taxation to milage driven since last inspection and call it a day.... basically a base tax + mileage
Doesn’t matter what you believe fair,hybrid and efficiency penalties are illegal.
Eventually someone will push the issue and get them overturned as they are a clear violation of equal protection law’s falling into a feigned difference.

By your own logic
An Insight doesn’t cause any road damage as compared to a 6000lb+ gas guzzling vehicle and shouldnt pay as much as the “other” vehicles
It also occupies less “space” meaning it positively affects congestion.
It also pollutes less and many even back into the 80’s (some legislators) viewed gas tax also as a pollution tax meaning if you pollute more you deserve to pay more tax.

Energy taxes were deemed the fair way to distribute road fees, and tolls as being the fair way to charge for “congestion/ traffic “

Up to 80% of road funding comes from general funds, (depending on your area) so your comment that income taxes don’t pay for roads is patently false,
Road taxes haven’t paid for a majority of road costs in over 25 years.

The cost of roads is such that if it would be evenly distributed most of the poor and lower middle class could not afford a car.

And indeed, the very first things people don’t pay for when they go broke is
Vehicle Insurance
Registration Fees
License

My uncle drove 10 years without paying any of those things because it was “too expensive “ in the northern part of this state many people own a side by side instead of a car to avoid insurance and fees, others like my uncle simply stop paying.

We need a better system that accounts for income variation than the current punitive
Tax+Title+Insurance schemes.

And from what I’ve seen of per mile the government accountability board estimates it would cost at least $10 billion to implement (if we exclude it from older cars, 100’s of billions if we retrofit nationwide) and would increase the amount of road tax needed by 2-3x to equal the amount collected by gas tax.

It also would depress flyover country even more because local gas taxes would go to zero with very few registrations to cover “visitor” traffic

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Bring attention to the issue May cause more tax on the electric car and the hybrid.

Electric car is a status buy
Compared to driving a $600 Honda insight.

they may say if you can drive a $80,000 electric car pay for the road damage. I’m just saying.

my car Took out the 35 pound rider seat took out the 70 pound hybrid battery cut off the 8 pound muffler and I use space savers instead of the regular Wheels and tires to reduce even more weight.

and I also drive less than 50 miles an hour which would also reduce wear and tear on the highway curves. I don’t expect to get a bonus.

Because I really like apple pie chocolate ice cream Coca-Cola and if I think about exercising I sit on the couch and think about it until the urge passes.

just kidding always wanted to say that.

If you make a fuss you will probably pay more tax.

I don’t think gas guzzlers want to pay even more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Doesn’t matter what you believe fair,hybrid and efficiency penalties are illegal.
No idea what you are on about... but nobody said anything about penalties. Taxation at different rates based on type of vehicle is 100% legal... the end goal of gas taxes is to extract enough $ to pay for the roads. If your vehicle doesn't use diesel or gasoline, then you have to pay some other way in states that have adapted via tag+title tax increases and sometimes adusted for milage....

You are effectively paying the same thing during tag + title as the guy paying 20-30 cent per gallon at the pump is paying... don't get bent out of shape just because you forgot to account for your responsibility to take care of the roads along with everyone else.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Fuel economy and hybrid drivetrain are feigned differences.

Historically there were attempts to attach fees to your automatic transmission cars which were tossed out.

a hybrid is an electromagnetic transmission and taxing it differently than a manual or cvt is illegal under equal protection laws.

bad law that violates common law is thrown out by courts often, just because someone imagines a tax doesn’t make it legal or enforceable .

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your input. I didn't think anyone had posted, I wasn't notified of any replies😡

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An EV pays no gas taxes.

EXACTLY! I am retired and drive to the store or take my dog for a ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts