Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a coworker told us a horror story of how her new Ford needed all kinds of expensive repairs because of low-quality gasoline. Like all the other SUV drivers living in the land o' $3 gas, she shopped for the lowest-priced stuff, which she found at the Hess station a few miles away. Apparently the fuel had more sulphur than normal and really did a number on her car.

Is the Insight any more or less vulnerable to the problems of low-quality fuel?

Which brands are generally the cleanest?

Woohoo, the last two tankfuls have been 75.77 and 75.90mpg! :) :) :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a search on "sulphur" and you could read for days! You will find many sources for low sulphur fuel.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There are limits on the sulfur content of fuels used for on highway use. I wouldn't think it should be a problem, but I have gone to the extent to use the lowest sulfur fuel I could get because it's better for the car. In my area Shell reported 30ppm, and QuikTrip reports 30ppm as well. Stick to any of the "top tier" brands and you should be ok (Honda specifically endorses using top tier fuel).

·
Registered
340 Posts
In addition to what Rick said, the sulfur content varies by region. In the summer of 2006, the newest EPA standards were to go into effect (30 ppm max average), but were blown off by President Bush to try to keep prices low because of Katrina and the gulf coast oil refineries.
In my area, (Western SC) the lowest are Shell and BP, but Shell does not seem to give me quite as good mileage as BP, even though Shell ihas lower sulfur content.
Sunoco, in my part of SC, can be as high as 378ppm. Charlotte, NC had low sulfur, but I don't know if it's still low because of the standards relaxation.
California, NYC, Chicago (I think) have low sulfur requirements, but about the only way to find out how much is in the gas you use is to contact the companies you deal with directly. I've had mixed results with this.
Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts