Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and took apart my 2000 MT insight today, as I was suffering from the herky jerky as of late, and the car does have 170k miles on it so it was due for tune up.

The throttle body was fairly clean seems like it was cleaned before, but still a decent amount of carbon came off it.

The egr plate (intake maniforld spacer) on the other hand was quite amazing. It was decked out with carbon, not as much as some of the people on here but still it was at least 4 mm thick or so and I had to use a screw driver and lots of scraping to clean. Took around 1 hour or so for the cleaning alone.

The gasket also was dirty and had caked on carbon. My sealant was sadly degenerated beyond use, and when i called into honda they said it would take till tuesday (4 days) to get it in. With that said I just cleaned up the gasket and went and got some very heavy duty black gasket sealant and just redrew the sealant onto it and now am waiting for it to cure to see how it turns out.

Will keep you guys updated on it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello fellow San Diegan! I'm about to do the EGR plate cleaning and EGR valve tune up soon myself.

Once I hit 80k, that's when I'll do the whole job.

Did your herky-jerky go away after you did this?

·
6,916 Posts
I would really like to take all my stuff apart just to see it's condition. I'm pretty positive it would be squeaky clean after 156,000 miles, because my car actually sees 6,000RPM on a regular basis, and has for the last 3 years, 70,000 miles.

Get it above 3,000RPM now and again, people. It's good for your engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I over torqued the screw last night when re tightening it (junk torque wrench), causing the screw to break. Going to buy another one now, and will have to reopen the manifold and do it again. Set aside a good 2-3 hours for this task, other then that it shouldn't be too hard.

I'll let you know in a day or two as i'm going to have to open it up and redo it (I'm using sealant and not a new gasket. )

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yes I got those out a few days ago, and sealed it back up using the oem gasket this time as well as gasket sealant. The car does run more smooth then before, and I've gained 2-3 mpg it seems so far on average. Note I also cleaned all my connectors, but my idle issue still remains. It seems to start a 2000 rpm vs the 1k it should be, and I believe that's caused by either a cracked hose, or dirty idle control which I'll be taking out in a day or two to clean.

·
6,916 Posts
Well yes I got those out a few days ago, and sealed it back up using the oem gasket this time as well as gasket sealant. The car does run more smooth then before, and I've gained 2-3 mpg it seems so far on average. Note I also cleaned all my connectors, but my idle issue still remains. It seems to start a 2000 rpm vs the 1k it should be, and I believe that's caused by either a cracked hose, or dirty idle control which I'll be taking out in a day or two to clean.
Wait - All cars have a warmup mode. When you first start the Insight, it will idle at ~2000RPM and slowly drop as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not taken out the egr valve itself and opened it as of yet. I will be doing that next week hopefully after I get back from a trip. I'm waiting for a salvaged egr valve to come to test on that first in case i mess up.

Eli: Good to know, I thought mine was just unnormal since it had 170k miles on it. If it's normal i'll leave it :)

·
6,916 Posts
I mean I guess it could be having a problem.. I'd need to know more details?

It doesn't idle at 2,000RPM all the time does it? Once it's warm, it idles at ~1000? It also idles at ~1000 when you re-start and it's still warm?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll make a video of it when i get back next week.It'll start up at 2k most of the times, sometimes when it's warm it starts at 1k. But most of the time it starts at 2k which is why I'm going to clean out some of it.

·
6,916 Posts
Hmm.. Just curious, but how many cars have you driven? :)

It sounds normal to me. I guess you're having a difficult time telling if your engine is still warm when you start it or not?

Basically, unless it's idling at 2,000RPM when the coolant temperature gauge reads over 4 bars, it's completely normal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here's the thing in san diego, I'm fairly sure the motor is warm all the time. Like I get in the car and I'm sweating like mad, and even then it takes a good 2-3 minutes of just leaving it if i leave it in idle for it to settle back down to 1k. I've driven around 6 cars to date, so not much but I am sensitive to idling on all the cars I've driven. This isn't bad but it I find it hard that the idle isn't already warm in 90 F + weather.

·
6,916 Posts
Ambient warm temperature does not equal warm coolant temperature. :) Anything below something like 120ºF is considered cold by the engine management computer. I'll have to watch my scangauge next time to see when the idle gets to 1,000RPM. It might even be higher than that, I haven't really paid much attention.

I do know that the temp gauge goes to all six bars at about 163ºF, which is quite low. Seems that there is a lot of slop in the coolant temperature display. Remember that the optimal operating temp of our engines is 190-195ºF.

But yes, this is a case where a video would be helpful. The only other way I would be able to tell whether it was normal or not would be to start the car myself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright I just got back from a 1 week trip up to sequoi national park, and 700 miles later, the car is running great :) So yes the EGR plate cleanup did help a lot. The egr valve itself does give some slight problems but if the egr plate is dirty then just pop that out clean it and then put it back and seal it. It'll help a lot.

With that said today I poured in some seafoam into the throttle body, and pcv valve which caused a ton of smoke to bellow out of it which is a good thing. I'll be doing a techron complete cleaner for the next 2-3 oil changes as well and see if that helps at all with more mpg, acceleration and idling. May be excessive but I do like my car to run clean, especially when it's at 170k miles.

Next project to tackle will be sound deadening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am thinkg about cleaning the EGR plate as well but I have a hard time getting the two bottom bolts out. Let me know if you have a video on cleaning the EGR Plate.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres a hint for the bottom: Use a universal add on to better reach, and use lots of pb blaster on it. They are tough to get to.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also cleaned out the pcv valve today, and there was quite a bit of carbon in there. To clean the pcv valve all you need to do is spray carb cleaner in it, let it sit, and then use a q-tip or something to get the junk out. Or if you don't want the hassle just buy one new for 5 dollars from a local auto shop. I didn't feel anything running better with the pcv valve clean, but good to know it's clean regardless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
5 Participants
vmirjamali
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing