Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have not posted in a while. I was bitching a while back about the LAF going bad at 35k miles on a MY2000.

I replaced the LAF and no more CELs.
The lights on trick fixes the SOC recals, but as soon as I turn them off it recals everytime after 10 miles, sucks dong.

The LAF replacement was smooth.
That was nice however I started getting the herky jerky crap right after. It was bad, I would have to hold it at a high RPM just to get it to run smooth.

As much as I wanted to buy a new EGR, a $6 dollar can of carb cleaner and a day out of service was not a big deal.

So I bought a can of 3M carb throttle cleaner which was recommended 2nd to "Hog Wash".

I pulled out the EGR, put it in a tupperware tub and continued to blast and fill up the EGR with cleaner. The 3M really does a nice job of evaporating and the residual, is a stable lubricant.

http://www.hondavision.com/photohosting ... 0/carb.jpg

I filled up the valve about 10 times over a 20 hour period, and for 2 hours I let it sit upside down to drain.

I then took it to my shop where we have a hooded system with filtered high pressure compressed air for cleaning sensitive electronics.

I sprayed it out as best I could and re-attached the valve.

(Lost one of the bolts as well, had to get a new one.)

Since the base of the EGR is cast Iron the bolts were rusted I cleaned them and coated them with white lithium grease paste. Let her run in idle for 10 minutes to heat up, hopefully heat the valve up as well.

The car runs great, except I have blow head gasket/leaking head gasket.

I pulled my best 1 way 26 mile trip: 91.1 MPG, and the tank average is at 86MPGs. See here:

http://www.automotivetech.org/photohost ... 6_1524.jpg

Any Insight about the lights on trick?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seeing that it's a 2000, has the 12v battery been replaced?

I had the same issue on my car & the only way I could keep the SOC up without getting recals was to keep the lights on. Found that was because it was the only way the 144v would get enough charge to keep the bad 12v going.

Replaced the 12v, now I can run with my lights off without an issue. However I still tend to run lights on for safety.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bjaardker said:
Seeing that it's a 2000, has the 12v battery been replaced?

I had the same issue on my car & the only way I could keep the SOC up without getting recals was to keep the lights on. Found that was because it was the only way the 144v would get enough charge to keep the bad 12v going.

Replaced the 12v, now I can run with my lights off without an issue. However I still tend to run lights on for safety.
Yep replaced it this winter.
Guess I will just keep truckin along

1 - 3 of 3 Posts