Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter in UK my floor mats got into a terrible state with mud and salt being trampled into them.

I had hoovered them, but that does not get rid of the real dirt and discolouration. Sadly I don't have a wet and dry, or carpet shampoo type cleaner.

Anyway I just put them in my washing machine one at a time, folded so the pile was outermost towards the drum. I ran them through on a 40C wool wash with normal washing powder tablets, and they came up really well. Dried off laid flat for a few hours in the sun and perfect.

The pile and construction did not seem to be adversely affected. They certainly did not fall apart. Result :D

I could not do the rear parcel shelf mat as that is too big for my washing machine :(

Peter

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can also try filling bathtub with an inch or so of warm soapy water. Let them soak, scrub with brush and rinse. Hang outside until dry. Has always worked well for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know about the UK, but in the US you can rent steam cleaners and the like from some drug stores or groceries.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Are we talking about removable, carpeted mats used to cover the molded floor covering? If so, I've found hanginging them sideways and going at them with a pressure washer does wonders to get deep seated sand deposits out. You won't believe the amount of sand carpets can hold! Of course everthing within a yard or so will be covered with wet sand, so don't wear your Sunday shoes. ;) They will need a day or so of hot sunlight to dry. Since you only want to remove the sand, go easy untill you find the optimum distance for spraying, as this will vary depending on your nossle choice and the power of your pressure washing equipment.

Don't use this technique for wool carpets unless you like a matted, bleeding colour look........and don't ask me how I know. :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts