Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting towards 200,000 miles and my seats, especially driver's, are really dirty. Never ate in the car, but just greasy from my legs and touching. Any ideas how to clean them up, at least a little bit?

The seats need cleaning, but it's more than that. The car is due for service and I've always believed that bringing in a clean car it's more likely to be well taken care of. Sort of the opposite of: "he doesn't take care of the car so why should we" sort of attitude.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jim,

I just bought an Insight a couple of weeks ago with 91K miles in the Bay Area. The previous owner was a doberman owner, and the animal's hairs had embedded itself in the roof line. The car itself also had all sorts of dust bunnies and the like all over the carpet and the crevices.

I had the this place clean the upholstery for $100 (plus $15 tip):

http://www.detailplussunnyvale.com/

The car turned out much cleaner than I expected. It looks nearly new. There were parts of the carpet that were so clean, I could not imagine how they cleaned it without unscrewing the seats from the mounts. I too had some staining in the seats, and for the most part - they look like new.

I would consider just paying someone else to clean it rather than investing your own time and researching which chemicals/techniques to use in the process. For $100, its worth a shot.

HY

jgessling said:
Getting towards 200,000 miles and my seats, especially driver's, are really dirty. Never ate in the car, but just greasy from my legs and touching. Any ideas how to clean them up, at least a little bit?

The seats need cleaning, but it's more than that. The car is due for service and I've always believed that bringing in a clean car it's more likely to be well taken care of. Sort of the opposite of: "he doesn't take care of the car so why should we" sort of attitude.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The local hardware store likely rents a steam cleaner. In my area, I can rent the "Rug Doctor" machine for roughly $25. Cleaning chemicals then add another $40 or so. The machine works wonders with the upholstery attachment but it will take you an entire day to do the job. Generally I do this every spring after the snow disappears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts