Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CV axle boot inner kits are apparently no longer available oem or aftermarket. Found a listing online that claimed it fit and crossed to a Beck 103-2314 so I ordered a pair of the Beck. Boot dia too big. Grease and straps are good though so will reuse the original. The original inner joint lube differs from the outer joint lube. Inner is brown (lithium I assume) whereas the original outer lube is black and looks like the Beck kit content lithium/moly mix. What grease should I use on the inner joint? Thx
Product Automotive tire Material property Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the circlip off and removed the spider. Inner joint separated when I first attempted to pull it off the transmission so which of the three rollers fit onto the spider is anybody's guess <sigh>. Pulled both boots off from the inner side. Got the embedded rust out of the inner boot lip with a small brass wire brush and I think it can go another 20 years. The Beck outer boot that is specified by application has same diameters as oem, BUT is almost an inch longer than the oem boot. Beck outer boot is also soft rubber like the inner, whereas the oem Honda boot is stiff hard rubber material. Found Honda inner grease on ebay sold in a toothpaste tube, but decided to try redline CV synthetic grease. I think the idea is the inner joint runs more or less in a bath of oil while hot whereas the outer joint uses thicker moly high pressure grease. Redline claims better "fluidity" whatever that means.

·
Registered
insight 2006 MTinsight 2005 MT
69 Posts
when rock auto indicated that the inner boot was in liquidation I noted the part number it was MCQUAY-NORRIS 662966
when I look for an equivalent I find Beck / Arnley 1032646
if the part that rock auto was selling was the right one, the same part could be found on the camry from 1992 to 2001
hoping that this info can be revelant

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Beck Camry boot info. Hopefully I can find one around here to look at before buying. Looks like it might work once removed from the steel flange that Toyota uses. Received the EMPI boot from ebay.

Empi 86-2310-D on left vs OEM on right below. About an inch too short.
Automotive tire Drinkware Wood Table Serveware

·
Registered
insight 2006 MTinsight 2005 MT
69 Posts
I just checked on McQuay-Norris Parts - Application Look-up site and the number I gave you is the correct one according to this manufacturer.
it is 66-2966 for the inner boot
and 66-8119 for outer boot

but looking at the photo I find on internet, I have the impression that the part seems a little short, unfortunately as long as we don't have the two together it's hard to really know
there is also a lot of equivalent for the inner boot:
moog 4492
precision 4492
ford F23Z3A331D
lexus 0443806030
neapco 85-1271
ford E6FZ3A331B
I notice by the photos on the net that the parts of McQuay and Moog have 3 bump unlike
2 for the one you have already bought what seems good to me

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked on McQuay-Norris Parts - Application Look-up site and the number I gave you is the correct one according to this manufacturer.
it is 66-2966 for the inner boot
and 66-8119 for outer boot

but looking at the photo I find on internet, I have the impression that the part seems a little short, unfortunately as long as we don't have the two together it's hard to really know
there is also a lot of equivalent for the inner boot:
moog 4492
precision 4492
ford F23Z3A331D
lexus 0443806030
neapco 85-1271
ford E6FZ3A331B
I notice by the photos on the net that the parts of McQuay and Moog have 3 bump unlike
2 for the one you have already bought what seems good to me
The picture of the moog 4492 looks promising. 3 bumps like the OEM.
Automotive tire Font Silver Jewellery Auto part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts