Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just removed the seats and mats from my car.

Once on the bench you can remove the seat covers and wash them in the washing machine at 40C with a shed load of DAZ/Persil.
Same with the mats. I did these one at a time to avoid overloading the machine.

The before and after difference is like night and day.
The 18 years of grime and grubbiness accumulated over 100,000+ km has 90%+ gone..
Ok they are a bit worn in places but they look great.

Anyone who can wield some pliers can get the covers off. Just snip the hog rings.
Take some pics of what goes where, and then buy a pair of cheap hog ring pliers and staples set from flea bay.
It takes about 30 minutes to get the covers back on each seat and about 20 hog rings per seat.
It's not rocket science so have a go. It's very satisfying.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very nice. Where did I read that you can use zip ties to reassemble (was it at the meet) facilitating the reinstallation and future endeavors. I definitely need to do mine. Especially my blue car. Car smells like curry even after a year of having windows open. ??
What’s the time involved to do each one?

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
They look great. I've done seat covers before, but alway been a bit afraid to try the stock Honda "Insight" mats. They are quite rare, especially in good condition, an I've been afraid that the rubber backing would separate in the rough wash and dry cycles.

I see that the carpet U.K. material is a bit different, or maybe yours are aftermarket.

Anyone tried washing the precious "Insight" mats like this.

Good as the results were, I see that the very high use driver's shoe heel area seems to still have some ground in dirt. I've had some success with door mats by using a foaming type of carpet cleaner and scrubbing with a stiff brush before machine washing.

Very nice:)

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
I just removed my seats and pressure washed them. Let them dry a few days in the sun. Great results.

Reactions: retepsnikrep

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i've seen pressure washed seats and mats as well. It works but perhaps a tad too agricultural for my liking.

I probably should have done the mats twice.

However the after appearance is actually better than the photo suggests.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used cable-ties in place of the rings when I did this. Five years on the seats are still good. Just not as clean once again.

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
^ +1. I usually suggest using zip ties whenever this subject comes up.

Sam

·
Administrator
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One mat size/shape does not fit all! :)

UK Manual and JDM CVT mats are different for both passenger and drivers side.

1) CVT has the TCM module behind the passenger sidewall in the footwell so the passenger mat has a chunk out on the left hand side.

2) CVT drivers side mat has a chunk out for the CVT footrest.

Video and pics below.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Yeah, I've trying to figure out how to make one of those carpet brackets. Looks like the hardest part is finding a square plastic plug for the screw end. Maybe a trinket we in the U.S. call a Molly fastener.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I was looking at some hardware yesterday at the store. I think the easiest anchor, assuming on can't find the stock square nylon plug would be a toggle bolts such as these:

Those would hold the bracket up tight so that it didn't swing from side to side. Just brainstorming.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,460 Posts
Put a little of the "male" velcro on the back of the matt/carpet. That should hold it in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts