Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got car back and tranny is fine now, but the dash climate control is non functional all fuses seem fine, fan is buzzzing away with no control... temp knob is unresponsive as are all buttons with no readout??? any ideas?;)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You can run a self diagnostics of the HVAC systems and it will tell you on the display if there are any faults in the system. The procedures begins on page 8 of the HVAC manual, do a search on the forum for online copy if you don't have it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx but, How can I get a readout when there is nothing on the screen and the buttons are unresponsive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the book on CD but I cant run the diagnostics cause there is no power presented to the screen nor the buttons, all fuses are okay, wiring harness intact...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just got car back and tranny is fine now, but the dash climate control is non functional all fuses seem fine, fan is buzzzing away with no control... temp knob is unresponsive as are all buttons with no readout??? any ideas?;)
Please elaborate about the tranny, and is the display reacting when you juggle the wires on the HVAC module?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Brent at Flamboyant replaced auto trans for me, and maybe a few other things? have call and email into him but nonresponding, Id need to remove dash to get to hvac "module" ??? seems there is a new dash or something cause the odometer is lower 10k now...
can I get to it thru the glovebox cause I kno he repalced the glovebox?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like they left a plug disconnected or something? Here is how to remove the dash cover:

1. Remove the 4 nuts that hold up the steering column and let it drop to the floor.
2. With a pair of pliers, pull out the small cover that hides a bolt in the center vent outlets. (You have to pull on one of the vanes next to the vent in the center of the dashboard, to the far right of the vents.)
3. Remove that bolt and the entire cluster trim surround pulls off.

This will expose the HVAC module at least from the front, haven't pulled it out myself so not sure if this will help? Might still have to drop the glove box to see behind the controls to see if the plugs are secure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Ill try that tomorrow.... I hope Im feeling adventurious! but i know its gotta be sumtin simple, dont wanna drive to Ohio........
Fred
Im enjoying driving the car finally tho!:)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Brent at Flamboyant replaced auto trans for me, and maybe a few other things? have call and email into him but nonresponding, Id need to remove dash to get to hvac "module" ??? seems there is a new dash or something cause the odometer is lower 10k now...
HVAC module = item #3. It has two wire connectors in back, as I recall.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like they left a plug disconnected or something? Here is how to remove the dash cover:

1. Remove the 4 nuts that hold up the steering column and let it drop to the floor.
2. With a pair of pliers, pull out the small cover that hides a bolt in the center vent outlets. (You have to pull on one of the vanes next to the vent in the center of the dashboard, to the far right of the vents.)
3. Remove that bolt and the entire cluster trim surround pulls off.

This will expose the HVAC module at least from the front, haven't pulled it out myself so not sure if this will help? Might still have to drop the glove box to see behind the controls to see if the plugs are secure.
Please remove the 12 volt battery connection due to airbags, and the are two screws in the "ceiling" of the instrument pod

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If he replaced the odometer, it means he took the whole section of the dash off where the gauge cluster is and the climate control. That whole section comes off in one big piece. The instructions on how to get to the climate control a few posts ago are very good but missing a bit of info.

1) Unscrew the three screws under the bottom steering column plastic cover then unsnap the top and bottom portions of the steering column plastic colvers and remove the bottom portion only (don't worry about the top part yet).

2) loosen all four 12mm nuts holding the steering column up (back them off so they are nearly off - but not removed - this will allow the steering column to drop enough to work with) Now the top plastic peice of the steering column cover can be removed.

3) Looking at the vent to the right hand side, on the right of that vent there is a small plastic cover that blends in with the shape of the vent. Using some needle nose pliers, pull the plastic panel straight outward (It does not take much force and you don't have to grip the cover very hard so you do not damage it)

4) Remove the screw behind that cover AND the two screws in the upper portion (in the area that blocks the sun from the gauge cluster - there are two screws in that area - You can see them if you put your head down by the steering wheel then look up to where the sun would block the gauge cluster.)

5) Grab one side of the large panel (I think the far right hand side is easier) then yank forward slightly to break free of the remaining clips that hold the panel in. Work your way from one side to the other and the whole panel will come out.

Now, check around the back of the climate control unit and see if the two connectors are installed properly (if they appear to be - I would still remove them and reseat them again since you did a lot of work to get to them). The connectors are fully seated when you hear them click into place.

While the dash is still in your hands, try the climate control with the ignition turned on (it will not hurt anything even if you disconnected some of the other connectors to get better access).

If it works then put it all back together again in reverse.

If it does not work and based on your earlier post saying the odometer is now 10K less, check to see if you have the correct climate control for your car. They are different based on if you have A/C or not. It may be possible that the gauge cluster and climate control parts got mixed up with another car. I am not sure why those parts were changed but if you now have 10K less on the odometer, I can assure you the instument cluster was changed for some reason (not the ECM) and that would mean that the large panel hold the climate control was set aside and perhaps it got mixed up with another car.

Also, if there was nothing wrong with the gauge cluster in the first place, you should get your old one back because now, if you ever sell your car, you will have to sign the odometer discrepancy and that looks suspiciuos to some potential car buyers.

If you do swap the odometer, based on the instructions above, the whole instrument cluster comes out with just 4 more screws and removing three connectors in the back (for CVT - not sure if MT has another one).

I have removed the whole dash out of both of my Insights several times to fix some rattle here and there and to repaint the dash. Painting the dash while still in the car is nearly impossible to have it look like stock afterwards.

Hopefully that helps.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh I had it all apart today and ran and got a mirror to see up the back! now the gloebox doesnt fit closed right... an I cant (can0 believe the air filter behind a metal bar and 2 wire clusters... oye veh! nothing seems loose pulled tugged jostled etc... there is a wire cluster below with a blackand white wire and its connected to a male plug says extra for a 6 pin plug ... also a matching reciever under the hood , the switching cable was not attachede to the mount I fixed that but nothing working yet!!!! anyone have a roadmap for the newly discovered fuse panel under the dash?
maybe there?
still confused, but getting to know the schemeaticx....
thanks,
Fred

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
oh I had it all apart today and ran and got a mirror to see up the back! now the gloebox doesnt fit closed right... an I cant (can0 believe the air filter behind a metal bar and 2 wire clusters... oye veh! nothing seems loose pulled tugged jostled etc... there is a wire cluster below with a blackand white wire and its connected to a male plug says extra for a 6 pin plug ... also a matching reciever under the hood , the switching cable was not attachede to the mount I fixed that but nothing working yet!!!! anyone have a roadmap for the newly discovered fuse panel under the dash?
maybe there?
still confused, but getting to know the schemeaticx....
thanks,
Fred
I must say that I am a bit confused as well. You ask for any ideas when you first posted and several responded telling you step by step how to take a portion of the dash out to check the connectors on the back of the climate control. None of the instructions included taking the glove box out or having to use mirrors. If you followed the step by step, you can see, feel and reseat the connectors. You have not answered any questions as to why the instrument cluster was changed or concerned about the mileage difference (10K difference before you had a transmission replacement).

People take time to write detailed messages to try and help but you just end up doing what you wanted to do in the first place. Oh well.....

Good luck,
JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thank You,
for your most astute observations, they've been duly noted.
I didnt recieve your instructions till 4 hrs after the operation was
executed and put back together... the car was repaired 600 miles away.
I just got it back... calls and e mails havent been returned yet...I
thought if it was as simple as a fuse or plug I could fix it here its hot..
its gonna get cold, and hell, just gonna try!
the car is old 10 yrs, has 170k miles numerous other owners and
we just dont know what went on under the hood or dash, stripped bolts, broken clips
gerry rigs etc... nuff said, I also got fat fingers and arthritus..
so things arent all cut and dry.
thanks again!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sometimes the only way to find an issue is to really tear into something and go beyond the normal things one would check. Plus the glove box is easy to take out and it probably didn't hurt to check the condition of things behind the dash there. I hope you can narrow the issue down so we can all learn from this issue. Still sounds like there is no power or the control module has failed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, does anyone have a roadmap of the fuses in the drivers left knee panel?
Ive pulled all the 7.5s but not the rest... its kinda tight down there 4 me ~!
I noticed a red wire manually shoved into a 10 amper but havent been able to trace it! Its rainy here now so gotta defog by hand till we find whats up.
but truly enjoying the Insight driving experience...the autostop isnt workingb ut im assuming thats a sending device attached to theclimate control somehow? Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, does anyone have a roadmap of the fuses in the drivers left knee panel?
Ive pulled all the 7.5s but not the rest... its kinda tight down there 4 me ~!
I noticed a red wire manually shoved into a 10 amper but havent been able to trace it! Its rainy here now so gotta defog by hand till we find whats up.
but truly enjoying the Insight driving experience...the autostop isnt workingb ut im assuming thats a sending device attached to theclimate control somehow? Thanks,
Fred

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,326 Posts
OOps double post, you must really be geting confused..
Where are you located?

Willie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im at the jersey shore by Asbury Park/ Red Bank...and the honda dealer here is not into older Insights ...just BIGGGBUCKS!
Fred

1 - 20 of 24 Posts