Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 insight, doesn't generate heat to keep me alive unless i am rolling, but when i stop in traffic or something it spits out cold air even when the temperature is set to 90.

tried Auto: cold air
economy with ac: cold air
economy without ac: cold air

again, so far the best option is economy without ac, it start warming me up as long as i am rolling on the highway, but if i just started the car and driving in town it could take 10 - 15 minutes to start warming up,
plus even after 2 hours of driving (my daily ride) when i hit traffic it might do it again, althought the car is already at its idle heat, so the car is not cold anymore.

can someone explain this?
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You seem to state that the engine warms up properly. So the engine thermostat should be off the list.

First verify that the A/C is really turning off. Simply run the car and look at the compressor to see if its turning. Have someone cycle the A/C so you can see the part of the clutch that engages / disengages.

The heater control is via an electric air mix control motor. Its on the bottom of the heater box. With the key on watch this motors linkage for movement when dialing from full cold to hot and back.

So _IF_ one of the above is found to be the fault further testing is required for identification of failed part(s). You've just found the cause, not necessairly the source.

Its gets complex from here you without the Service manual and the ETM you'd be working in the dark.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Is the car going in to autostop? This would stop the flow of the warm coolant through the heater core. In full auto mode it should stay running, but econ (hit it twice for AC off unless your windows are fogging up) should allow the engine to turn off. If you don't set the fan speed and let it work it's own climate control speed the fan will turn off durring auto stop so it won't blow cold air at you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having the same problem.. i'll have it set to 90, be cruising down the highway and getting nice hot air. Then I'll stop at the exit and hot air stops and I get just cold air. Set to auto, don't have the fan set manually and still set to 90.

I'm about to take my car in to get another problem checked out (Blinkers acting funny) and I'll let you know what they say about the heat.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I use to get that in my older cars, when the level of radiator liquid is low. then the liquid does not reach the heater unless the engine is running at a high rpm.
Or it could be trapped air inside the engine. Is there liquid in the reservoir next to the radiator (overflow reservoir?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts