Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm getting a clunking Noise from inside my car. Based on research from insight central I think it's the sway bar going bad but not 100% sure.

I jack standed the car to look underneath and it doesn't look like anything is rubbing or any bolts are loose

The noise only happens on low end acceleration and deceleration . Sounds like the right side of the car as well

I'm hoping someone has heard this sound before and can help diagnose the problem

Link to a video of the sound

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,166 Posts
You might also check the condition of the "engine" rear motor mount.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Agree rear motor mount would be a good thing to check. The actual noise reminds me of the noise I hear when my steering rack mount bushings are stressed, when steering is torqued full left or right and I go over a bump. Maybe worn sway bar mount bushings/lose loose attachment could do it, too?

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
342 Posts
The difference between a bad mount an and a sway bar linkage is the linkage will be heard over minor undulations and bumps in the road. You'll hear it even going into 30-40mph even. But if it's only on accell and decel, I'd check the rear engine mount.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^ I was thinking the sway bar mount points might make that noise - where the bar goes through a bushing on each side, attached near where the steering rack is attached - rather than it being the linkages...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might also check the condition of the "engine" rear motor mount.
The weird thing is I noticed the noise after I replaced my engine mount a few days ago.

I followed the procedure listed on the forum

And today I double checked my work inspecting the new mount and making sure everything was torqued down correctly.

Took it for another drive and the noise is still there

It's three distinct clicks that only happen on acceleration and deceleration.

Turning doesn't make it happen either.

It feels like something is loose and is shifting with the weight of the car.

It doesn't look like the noise is something serious and it might be something I'll have to live with.

Here are a few pictures if that might help but I know its almost impossible to tell through them XD

Another thing is that the center bolt that goes through the rear mount looked short compared to the online spec's

Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Gas Bicycle fork Font Wood Metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts