Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title. Car is a 2000 with 5 speed manual.

Car started making clunking noise and the noise is getting more frequent and noisier. At first it was clunk, clunk, now it's clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, in the same time frame.

It only does so while turning the steering wheel both directions, forward and backing up, and only at low speed. It doesn't take much turning for it to clunk, certainly doesn't have to be a 90 degree turn.

If stopping turning the steering wheel while the car is executing a turn, the noise stops, and resumes if steering wheel turns again.

On highway if coming to a bend that requires turning the steering wheel a little there is no clunking noise at all.

Car still drive fine, no shifting or vibration.

Suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
First make sure all of your lug nuts are tight. Then with it jacked up wiggle the tire. If it moves you have a bad wheel bearing. Then go under and check your CV joints.

Sam

·
Registered
609 Posts
Great video. Does it do it if you’re sitting still while the car’s running? Almost sounds like plastic binding to me. From somewhere in the steering assembly. Does it sound like an interior noise?

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Doesn't seem to act like CV joint IMO. Sounds like something actually in the stearing - and acts that way. Could be something binding up in steering shaft.

The electronic power boost might be feeding this clicks back into the steering if it were defective. You can check that by pulling the EPS fuse under the hood. Do you have any codes?

Long shot, but could lock pawl be dragging???

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
299 Posts
Anti-roll (sway) bar end link. One of the ball joints is partially seized. I'm 95% sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great video. Does it do it if you’re sitting still while the car’s running? Almost sounds like plastic binding to me. From somewhere in the steering assembly. Does it sound like an interior noise?
No, it doesn't clunk while stationary and idling, only while turning at a low speed. No clunking while going fast around a bend on the highway either. It does sound more to be an internal noise originated in the steering. Will ask someone to take a listen from the outside.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No, it doesn't clunk while stationary and idling, only while turning at a low speed. No clunking while going fast around a bend on the highway either. It does sound more to be an internal noise originated in the steering. Will ask someone to take a listen from the outside.
Having somebody listen from the outside is a great idea. The sound can be transmitted all over the place and is sometimes heard in places it's not coming from. Start with the simplest/cheapest and go from there.

Yknow...
Do you feel any "wobble"-feedback in the wheel as you go 'round slow corners? Or fast ones, for that matter? I had an '96 Accord with a slowly-failing torque converter that did that. The steering did make a noise, too, though it wasn't like your video: more like a "wah-wah-wah-wah." Slow speeds only, at first.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Anti-roll (sway) bar end link. One of the ball joints is partially seized. I'm 95% sure.
I like this guess. It does sound like something partially/nearly frozen. In that vein, if you have had a split tie rod end boot for a long time, you might have a nearly frozen tie rod end.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I don't hear any "clunk." I hear a 'groan' that seems to correlate with your steering wheel movements. Is that the noise, a 'groan' (deep creak)? If so, I hear a very similar noise (as-in near exact) but only when I max-out the steering wheel lock to lock, especially if I go over a bump at the same time. I generally concluded it's the brackets/attachment points holding the steering rack to the firewall, or whatever the steering rack is attached to. I think there must be extra leverage, or max leverage, with steering maxed-out that puts just a bit more stress on the connection points/joints, enough to make them flex and creak...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I like this guess. It does sound like something partially/nearly frozen. In that vein, if you have had a split tie rod end boot for a long time, you might have a nearly frozen tie rod end.
Agree with the others. The sound is similar to that caused by tension building up silently due to static friction in two parts that are binding, then suddenly releasing. Lack of grease, impingement of water, rust, rough surfaces or corrosion in a gap that is already tight. Agree that this is something like a ball joint in the steering linkage or the suspension, with the sound being transmitted into the frame or through the steering linkage into the steering rack and resonating the firewall.

I imagine that the reason you don't hear it at speed is because the increased frequency and force of road vibrations at increasing speeds is enough to causes the static friction to break and release the tension before it has a chance to build enough to cause an audible pop when it releases.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts