Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel my clutch disk may soon need to be replaced (I have about 90K miles on it now).

Did anybody do this before? How hard is it? Do I need to take the engine out? What brand disk you use if not from a dealer?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think you may be the first. Far as I know (and with a little bit of searching) a genuine Honda clutch is probably going to be your only option. MY ESM doesn't say what has to be done to replace the clutch, but it at least would entail separating the engine from the transmission. I've done it in other cars, sometimes you can get away with just separating the two. Here's a break apart of the parts:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... ry5=CLUTCH

Watch for the url wrap. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for all the useful information. I only feel some sluggish when I speed up from stop right now. That's why I feel I need to get prepared. Here is a list of the parts I think I may need:

1. The clutch disk;
2. The bearing;
3. The fork?

I am not sure if I need the fork. Any suggestions?

I will try to seperate the clutch housing from the engine without taking out the whole assembly first. I need to remove the shaft on the clutch housing side for sure, and maybe something else there. Hopefully that will clear up enough room for me.

I will post the result here to share with you.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,900 Posts
clutch

The transmission can be removed from the engine while the engine is in the vehicle. You will have to remove the wheels, the lower mounts to the front struts, lower ball joints, both axle nuts, axles, rear and side motor mounts, etc. Suggest you purchase a Helms manual before you attempt the job. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cyl. reservoir. If it is down near the bottom of the container, the clutch is probably worn out. It's a well built clutch and should be good for over 200,000 miles with proper use.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The whole assembly is not $900, though that sounds about right with dealership labor factored in.

FYI, I have a hunch that they don't stock clutches in the US. You may want to call and see because otherwise your looking at probably over a month to get the part if it comes over on a slow boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.