Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch just went out on my Jaguar X type at 135,000. No biggy since they seem to only last about 80-120K.

Then I start thinking about my 2001 Insight. It just just rolled over to 250,000. So what is the average life for a clutch in our little car. I saw one post that someone with over 200 had a master fail.

I know it all depends on how you dive it. Just looking to see when eveyone had to fix or replace it. Or those of you that have more miles than I and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
Like you said, it depends on drivers use.
There are a few Insighters that replaced the clutch, I think mainly when some malfunction in the transmission happened and had to be repaired at the time. I can only remember of one that had actually worn out, and was slipping. I can't remember the thread.

My clutch is still original, but there again, I don't abuse it.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
489 Posts
I honestly hope it doesn't last that long. I hate the chattery disc I have now but I don't have a good excuse to replace it when I can prevent the chatter by changing my technique.

·
Registered
939 Posts
im still on my original clutch. 300k, very demanding use in chicago traffic. that said though, i match my engine speed very close with the trans so slipping is vary small amounts. like said above, its all how you drive/use it

·
Registered
489 Posts
Eli - if you see this thread, I'd love to hear more about your launching technique. I read a thread a while back where you said you took off using IMA without even revving up the engine first. Do you catch the engine with the clutch while the IMA system is still starting up the engine from autostop?

I have this dream of taking off without even touching the clutch. I'd like to leave the car in 1st and launch with only electricity until the gas engine reaches 1000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
"I have this dream of taking off without even touching the clutch. I'd like to leave the car in 1st and launch with only electricity until the gas engine reaches 1000 rpm."

It's incredibly rough, basically you get all of the drivetrain sag and engine compression it feels like you are riding a carnival ride. Probably a great way to destroy an engine mount prematurely.

"I read a thread a while back where you said you took off using IMA without even revving up the engine first" Slowly release the clutch at idle, you need to have a good feel for your clutch, add accelerator to keep idle speed but don't release the clutch too quick otherwise you stall. I almost never launch at an engine speed faster than 1200rpm but usually it's less. You need some engine speed to do it quickly so that way you have some power and also so you don't feel like you are lugging the engine. Same thing as when you shift to the next gear, usually there just is barely any torque below 1200-1300RPM unless you are dogging it for assist.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
All depends on driving conditions. Almost all of my driving is on the highway, I don't think I'll ever replace my clutch driving with the gas engine even if it were to get to 1/2 million miles. Someone in the city who starts from a stop light/sign every 1/4 mile will have a harder time with clutch life with any car. ...plus I'll have a spare anyway considering I don't think my stock one will handle 162ft-lb of torque but those are future plans.

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts
The clutch just went out on my Jaguar X type at 135,000. No biggy since they seem to only last about 80-120K.

Then I start thinking about my 2001 Insight. It just just rolled over to 250,000. So what is the average life for a clutch in our little car. I saw one post that someone with over 200 had a master fail.

I know it all depends on how you dive it. Just looking to see when eveyone had to fix or replace it. Or those of you that have more miles than I and still going strong.
I'm in the process of replacing engine at over 280000 miles and clutch disc is worn down to rivets, as well as cushion springs loose and worn. Pressure plate seems ok, so ill probably reuse. It was working fine.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing engine at over 280000 miles and clutch disc is worn down to rivets, as well as cushion springs loose and worn. Pressure plate seems ok, so ill probably reuse. It was working fine.
This last part is a terrible idea. You should just buy the complete Exedy KHC11 clutch kit and replace everything.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
The terrible idea is to spend all the time/labor to just do the disk and hope the release bearing, pilot bearing, and springs on the pressure plate are all ok and last. If they don’t last you get to do the labor another time. Maybe you have more time and are willing to do it multiple times.
There is a reason the parts are sold as a kit.

Scott

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts
The terrible idea is to spend all the time/labor to just do the disk and hope the release bearing, pilot bearing, and springs on the pressure plate are all ok and last. If they don’t last you get to do the labor another time. Maybe you have more time and are willing to do it multiple times.
There is a reason the parts are sold as a kit.

Scott
For those without a lifetime of experience doing this stuff, sure. But for one with experience, wisdom and judgement, and the eye to determine whether parts are good or not, plus it was working great, just discovered it was worn while swapping engine. Do you know how often new clutch parts are in worse condition than proven good used ones? I've had to waste that time several times for defective new parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Here we go again. Do things your way, but please don't try to talk less informed members into thinking that your unconventional methods are right for everybody.

Sam

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts
Here we go again. Do things your way, but please don't try to talk less informed members into thinking that your unconventional methods are right for everybody.

Sam
You have no standing to tell me what to do, so step off!

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Yo dude. Sam isn't telling you what to do.

If you want to re-use a 280k mi pressure plate, more power to you. You do you.

I hope it works out for you, and that your diaphragm spring doesn't fail 10-50k miles from now and that you don't get to do what is a fairly major service job over again.

·
Registered
2000 Insight
24 Posts
Actually, he kind of did, but Im not worried because I never wait for approval from anyone to innovate, nor did some of the greatest in history like Einstein and Christopher Columbus. I'm not that smart, but life is a calculated risk, and I've got more experience with this stuff than 99% of the enthusiasts, so I was sharing to help. I realize most don't have what it takes to try unconventional, but most never built and drove their own race car up Pikes Peak either, which I did do in 1995. (Still dirt then).
I think that the fact that anyone might be on this site signifies a level of auto competence far above the general population, so I am totally comfortable that any actions taken after reading my posts are carefully considered by hybrid motorheads.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
There are all kinds of folks here on InsightCentral. Some who know little to nothing about working on their own stuff and rely on others to do the mechanical work. There are a few on here who have unparalleled knowledge on the ins and outs of various aspects of the G1 Insight...and many who are at various levels of knowledge and skill.

Thinking that every member on an Internet forum is somehow significantly more competent than the average Joe, is foolhardy. It definitely shouldn't be used as an excuse to dispense bad or potentially harmful advice.

You're new here, and don't know everyone. To a certain extent, I get it. However, there are a good number of folks on here who have bona fides that are at least as good as, or better than yours. Some of them, have even posted in this thread.

I'm trying to be nice about it, but to be blunt, what I'm trying to say, is that you've come into this community with what seems to be a bit of a chip on your shoulder. You're attitude toward some of the other members in this forum has frankly, been kind of arrogant. Case in point, you managed to talk down toward a guy who has earned a reputation as the foremost Insight mechanic in the country.

I would advise taking it down a notch.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forums!

Bull Dog - InsightCentral Moderator

1 - 20 of 20 Posts