Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I'm coming up on a clutch replacement soon. Shifting has gotten rapidly more notchy in multiple gears, which I'm thinking is probably the pilot.

The FSM says "resurfacing the flywheel is not recommended." I'd rather not have to spend an extra $200 on a flywheel, and I'm not planning on taking it apart twice, to check it, and then do it.

Since the flywheel has a step between the wear face and the pressure plate mounting face, if only the friction face is resurfaced, that gap increases and the clamping is decreased.
If the friction face and the pressure plate mounting face are both taken down the same amount, the gap stays the same, but the 3 dowel pins (in blind holes) would have to come out (not so easy!). Has anyone done either?

I suppose sandpaper is an option sometimes, but I have no idea what kind of condition it's currently in.

It looks like Showcase has the disc/plate/pilot/throwout for $263 plus shipping, but I would need an alignment tool.

Rock Auto/Napa have kits ranging from $220 to $424, which should come with the alignment tool.

Opinions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
A cheezy plastic clutch alignment tool costs in the neighborhood of $5.

A good machine shop should be well versed in resurfacing stepped flywheels, they're not that uncommon. It'll cost a few extra $$ to get it done though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm more concerned about actually getting the alignment tool, rather than the price. When I did the clutch in my truck, I couldn't find the tool anywhere locally, but I found the clutch kit with a tool easily. Although, I suppose if I get the parts before the job, I can easily turn my own.

The flywheel step shouldn't be too hard if they take the same amount off both faces, but those dowel pins aren't meant to come out easily, and need to come out in order to face it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm more concerned about actually getting the alignment tool, rather than the price. When I did the clutch in my truck, I couldn't find the tool anywhere locally, but I found the clutch kit with a tool easily. Although, I suppose if I get the parts before the job, I can easily turn my own.

The flywheel step shouldn't be too hard if they take the same amount off both faces, but those dowel pins aren't meant to come out easily, and need to come out in order to face it.
what alignment tool did you get? i got myself a Mr Gasket Clutch Alignment Tool and im pretty satisfied with it, perfect for its price.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I bought the Exedy Clutch Kit from Ebay for $210.

It included the Cluth/Pressure Plate/Release Bearing/Pilot Bearing/ CLutch alignment tool

I also got my flywheel resurfaced. Clutch was very grabby for about first 300-500 miles during the break-in period. But now it performs excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
How did it look like after how many miles?
After 180k miles it looked sorta bad. I wish I would have taken a picture, but it had light groove marks from the worn clutch rivets and some burn spots. But it was mostly my fault for still driving the car for maybe 200 miles with a slipping clutch.

But after the resurface, it looked like new again, and it only cost $40 at the local machine shop.

My flywheel looked similar to this (before/after), in this picture i found on google
http://i50.tinypic.com/675u2x.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's best to replace the whole assembly if mileage is high,unless it has already been replaced, or the car has been driven hard. $250.00 is cheap for an entire clutch assembly. I plan on doing mine soon. I'll let you know how it goes in a about a month, when I can fit it into my budget. I recently purchased the vehicle as a partially rebuilt for $2.5K. It had the catalytic converters an Emissions sensors, tires, battery pack, BCM, and ECM done 7K miles ago. The car has 169K on it now. I recently had it re-upholstered in black. I bought the Honda Service manual . The pics are pretty good for the clutch removal and reinstall procedures...

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
iI'm wondering if it is really neccessary to resurface the flywheel when replacing the clutch, thinking of getting the smallest amount possible skimmed to restore a nice clean finish for the new clutch, I have a spare flywheel here.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
10 Posts
BTT.

Has anyone here had their flywheel resurfaced?
This is a way old post... but I will offer my two cents... I have replaced somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 clutches in everything from Japanese cars and pickups, to a Peterbilt. I always re surface the flywheel in every job.... It then matches the new surface of the pressure plate...

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I like it when new people dig-up old stuff... Granted, I'm usually...amused when the new replies make it sound like it was just yesterday these guys were talking about, say, resurfacing flywheels.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
10 Posts
I like it when new people dig-up old stuff... Granted, I'm usually...amused when the new replies make it sound like it was just yesterday these guys were talking about, say, resurfacing flywheels.
I don't know much about forums...but, my thought on posting on an old post is perhaps people read the comments and might find them useful. On the resurfacing of flywheels... I think eliminating " chatter " is done by providing a surface equal to the pressure plate... Had a lot of problems with that with Ford pickup trucks with the 4 speed transmissions... people trying to start in 2nd gear and not granny low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts