Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for those of us who have had our Insight's clutch replaced, could you please tell me how much it cost, whether or not you had it done at a Honda dealer, and what was the mileage on the car at the time?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
redluvr said:
Hi, for those of us...
Seems to imply you already have had your replaced. Want to go first :?:

IIRC there's nothing special about the job. Labor times should be very comperable to a Civic wherever the job is done. And I doubt that parts costs are much different either.

But the wildcard (at any repair shop) is the hybrid fear factor. :p And if their "scared" enough to feel the need to charge excessivly then you probably don't want a mechanic with trembling hands working on it anyways. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't actually had to replace my clutch yet. My car's mileage is still low enough where I'm not too concerned about it. Mostly I was curious whether or not people were being charged a premium for the "Hybrid Fear Factor" you spoke of. I agree the job shouldn't be much different from a Civic, but so often I've noticed that repair shops will nickel and dime you to death for work on anything that's high performance or in our case, "high tech". I also thought maybe a clutch might go a long time in the Insight. The car certainly doesn't weigh a lot. Also, such a gas miser of a car seems to suggest that it's owners may not drive too aggressively, being more interested in economy and efficiency than acceleration. Not to suggest that any of us are slowpokes, but based on typical driving habits of each car's owners (as observed by me out on the roads), I'll bet the average Camaro or Mustang will use up a clutch faster than an Insight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had somewhere around 130K on my 88 CRX Si before needing a clutch. Not a concern now in my CVT though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scott you do realize that your CVT has a clutch in it, right? Honda’s CVT has a multy plate wet clutch that is controlled by the tranny. They even programmed it to have ‘creep’ to simulate a torque converters performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting you should mention that. My CVT had a bad "starter clutch" at about 90k miles. It would slip on take off, but it did drive. Luckily I have the 100k mile warranty, so Honda replaced it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found another post which delt with this topic back in 2003:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... ch&start=0

He was quoted $830.00 at Robertson’s Honda in North Hollywood, but I was just quoted $1,400.00, just for parts, from the same service center… My how things have changed…

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had mine fixed

Clutch was about $235 for parts and $350 for labor.

You have to remove the Tranny to get to the Clutch....

Work done at AACOM in Mooresville, NC

James Meskill
2000 Insight

·
Registered
741 Posts
I drove my previous car 340,000 miles and never once did any transmission work (except fluid), since automatics don't have clutches to "wear out" and no expensive bills.

Sounds like Automatic is better?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Sounds like Automatic is better?
IMO exceptionally high miles even for a Honda AT, congratulations.

But nope ATs are generally higher cost / mile over the _long term_ (usually before the second manual transmission clutch would be due). And that's not factoring in the higher initial purchase cost or the MPG losses AT over MT (AFAIK all makes and models).

FYI _all_ AT's (even the CVT have "clutches" of a slightly different kind ;) ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.